What Every Mother Needs to Know About Breast Feeding:
As a single mother raising two girls, breastfeeding was quite the task. I faced challenges that I believe many mothers do in trying to balance breast feeding and being a working mom.
There are many aspects of breast feeding that I learned simply through trial and error. Many however, I wish I had known earlier in motherhood.
In sharing my experience with you, I hope to assist you in navigating through the every day breast feeding challenges.
Here are a few additional tips about breast feeding that you may not have known:
- Breastfeeding equipment, counseling for pregnant and nursing women, and certified lactation consultants are now covered as preventive care under the Affordable Care Act.
- Under the Patient Protection and the ACA, the federal law requires employers to give break time and a place (other than a bathroom) to express breast milk at work.
- Breastfeeding lowers your risk of some cancers, diabetes and heart disease.
- Breast milk contains antibodies that help your child fight off viruses and bacteria.
- Breastfeeding lowers your baby’s risks of having asthma or allergies.
Tune in to our weekly live health care discussions by following us on Periscope at MyHealthSpin.