Real Madrid- Borussia Dortmund 9/26
Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund played the second match of the group stage on a cloudy night in Dortmund. Both teams lined-up in a 4–3–3.
Both teams attacked their best in transition. Real Madrid attacked through Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale and Isco while Borussia Dortmund played the ball quickly to Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang, Andriy Yarmolenko and Maximilian Philipp. Real Madrid created opportunities down the Dortmund left side, overloading Jeremy Toljan and Mario Götze.
Borussia Dortmund attempted to press Real Madrid when out of position but Real Madrid exposed the home side’s high defensive line on multiple occasions.
· Maximilian Philipp had a shot cleared off the line in the 14th minute, Borussia Dortmund may feel Sergio Ramos did so illegally.
· Gareth Bale opened the scoring in the 18th minute when Daniel Carvajal found the Welshman in space.
· Cristiano Ronaldo doubled the visitor’s lead in the 50th minute from a Bale cross.
· Aubameyang got a goal back in the 54th minute after finding space in the box.
· Ronaldo sealed Reald Madrid’s victory after beating Roman Bürki at his near post in the 79th minute.
Borussia Dortmund manager Peter Bosz substituted Toljan and Nuri Şahin for Julian Weigel and Mahmoud Dahoud. With Toljan out Dortmund changed from a 4–3–3 to a 3–5–2 in search of another goal.
Both teams played proactively but the matches best chances came in transition. For the second straight Champions League match Borussia Dortmund’s high defensive line was exposed. Dortmund will rue their missed chances and may feel the score could’ve been reversed on a different day. Real Madrid will be pleased with a key away victory.
UEFA.com. “UEFA Champions League — Dortmund-Real Madrid.” UEFA.com, UEFA, 26 Sept. 2017, www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2018/matches/round=2000881/match=2021609/index.html.