Quick Tips to Save You Money & Time
- Download the App! Download the free EventPilot conference app and search “NABJ19” now to help plan your convention experience. Periodically check for automatic live updates to your schedule.
- Hotel Registration Check-In: To reduce registration desk lines, we will have a “Hotel Overflow Check-in” location to supplement the main desk area. Follow the signs to reduce your wait.
- Transportation: Continuous bus shuttle service is provided between the host hotel and the official overflow hotels. Refer to #NABJ19 app for the official schedule to and from each hotel.
- Save Money! Plan to go to the Publix grocery store near the Aventura Mall, which is across the street from the hotel and load up on snacks. If you want adult beverages, it’s a good idea to make a stop at the nearby store as well. Check at the front desk for directions. You’ll be glad you did!
- Food Ideas & Notes: Secure an additional mini-refrigerator at the Turnberry. There is a very limited number available at a cost for your stay’s duration. Note: The mini-refrigerators that are already in the rooms are only for mini-bar purposes. You are likely to get sticker shock if you yield to temptation and partake of its contents.
- Careful! If there is a mini-bar tray with snacks and beverages located in your room, of course, they are not free. In fact, a weight-sensitive system is in each room that alerts the hotel when these items are moved or used. An automatic charge will appear on your bill if disturbed, so make sure you alert the front desk that you DID NOT consume those items, so you won’t get charged. (This is why we recommend getting a min-refrigerator.)
- Arrive at sessions and events early! Once the workshop and plenary panel rooms reach capacity, you won’t be able to enter. We expect this to happen several times over the course of the Convention. It is first-come, first-served. However, multiple sessions will be live-streamed. They will be listed on the app, social media and on our Convention website.
Local Guide & Convention Tips
Remember to use #NABJ19 to share your experiences on social media.
Quick Facts About Aventura
- Nearest Airport: Miami International Airport
- Nearest Bus Station: Greyhound (6 miles away)
- The average high temperature in August is 92°F and the average low is 70°F.
- Located 12 miles north of Miami and 12 miles south of Fort Lauderdale — just 20 minutes away.
Local Dining & Attractions
Aventura is one of Miami-Dade’s newest communities. Restaurants, movie theaters and the Aventura Mall are conveniently located across from the JW Marriott Miami Turnberry Hotel.
- Popular Aventura Mall dining experiences include Tap 42 Craft Kitchen & Bar, International Smoke, Serafina Miami, Genuine Pizza and Pubbelly Sushi.
- Mall attractions include the Gorillas in the Mist splash fountain, a slide tower, life-sized games, ping-pong tables, a fitness wall, live musical performances, an art collection, outdoor dining, and even selfie hotspots.
- Restaurants near the JW Marriott Miami Turnberry include IHOP, Outback Steakhouse, The Cheesecake Factory, Five Guys, Bella Luna and The Grill on the Alley.
- Aventura also offers the Arch Creek Historic and Archaeological Park.
What You Need to Know about the JW Marriott Miami Turnberry
The JW Marriot Miami Turnberry is a 300-acre tropical oasis and offers a championship golf course, award-winning dining experiences, swimming, and a total wellness spa and fitness center.
Arriving at the Host Hotel & Convention Site
· There will be satellite check-in areas provided for #NABJ19 hotel guests to accommodate the large volume of guests. You will be guided to these areas upon your arrival.
· Convention registration for all attendees, including host hotel guests, will take place in Royal Ballroom 2.
· Parking at the Turnberry is valet only and requires an hourly/daily fee, ranging from $10-$38. Please contact the hotel for details and rates or speak to the concierge attendant.
· NABJ will provide shuttle services to and from overflow hotels to the Turnberry. See below Convention Tips for details. Complimentary wireless Internet access in the lobby and public areas is available for guests.
· Free amenities for hotel guests include a 47” LED flat-screen TV, Keurig coffee maker, iHome radio/docking station, plush bathrobes & bath slippers, aromatherapy skin & hair care products, daily housekeeping service, and ADA Accessible rooms and suites.
· The hotel is pet-friendly. The pet fee is $25 per stay, plus a one-time, non-refundable cleaning fee of $100.
The hotel has a smoke-free policy in effect for the entire location.
Fee-based resort dining and amusement activities are also available to both guests and visitors. Pool access is for hotel guests only.
· The Turnberry offers three restaurants and lounges, six pools, a spa and the Tidal Cove Waterpark. Visit www.jwturnberry.com for rates on hotel attractions including rates for use of the golf course, which ranges from $80 — $100. The Spa also offers skin care, massages, hair and nail care and body therapy at various rates, which are displayed on the website.
· A Starbucks is also conveniently located on the property. However, the hotel will offer Starbucks-style coffee stations. Free water stations are throughout the hotel.
· Aventura Mall not only offers ample free parking, a 24-screen AMC movie theater, nearly 300 of the world’s most recognized retailers and more than 50 eateries, but it also offers a plethora of attractions.
Be Prepared & Maximize Your Experience
- Get the most out of #NABJ19 by planning the workshops and sessions you will attend in advance. Download the #NABJ19 app via EventPilot and You can connect your LinkedIn and other accounts to add information to your calendar and planning tools, use the code “NABJ19.” while also connecting with other attendees. The app also allows you to create a daily agenda and learn more about programming, speakers, panelists and more.
- Visit NABJConvention.com and click on “Workshops” to view an electronic schedule and to sign in or sign up to take advantage of the online planner, which allows you to add planned convention events or personal events to your itinerary.
- Ticketed, RSVP and even general attendance events are expected to reach capacity! Make your purchases and RSVPs early and arrive at each open session, workshop and special event as early as possible. Remember that once an event reaches capacity you will not be guaranteed access.
- Don’t forget to take lots of notes and share your experience on social media using the hashtag #NABJ19.
- Key programming and events will be live-streamed throughout the hotel and on NABJ’s Facebook and YouTube platforms. A schedule will be posted.
- NABJ will offer shuttle services to convention attendees staying at our overflow hotels. A bus will circulate mornings, afternoons and evenings to and from the host hotel. Our overflow hotels include Marenas Beach Resort Miami, Residence Inn Miami Sunny Isles Beach, AC Hotel Miami Aventura, Aloft Hotel Miami Aventura, Hampton Inn Hallandale Beach/Aventura, and Hollywood Beach Hotel.
Stay Cool & Comfortable
- Miami surely brings the heat in August so please make sure that you stay hydrated and drink plenty of water. There will be water stations throughout the resort for your convenience. Please look for shaded areas and consider the amount of time you are exposed to the heat.
- The resort is very spread out, so we recommend wearing comfortable shoes and packing a daily bag that includes your medicine, important personal items you may need, snacks, chargers for your devices and even a sweater as conference areas may be cool.
- Please practice safety around pool and waterpark areas and ensure children are accompanied at all times.
- Remember we are in sunny Florida, but it is also hurricane season. In the event of inclement weather Ready.gov recommends you:
- Determine how best to protect yourself from high winds and flooding.
- Evacuate if told to do so. Look for evacuation maps around the hotel.
- Take refuge in a designated storm shelter, or an interior room for high winds.
- Listen for emergency information and alerts.
- Do not walk, swim, or drive during a flood.
- Plan how you will communicate with family members if you lose power.
- Remember that during disasters, sending text messages is usually reliable and faster than making phone calls because phone lines are often overloaded.
- Remember to declare yourself safe on social media.
We have planned a Convention experience like no other for you here in Miami! Enjoy, be inspired, be empowered and watch our app, social media and web presences for updates.