News in artificial intelligence and machine learning
…week of 9th November 2015. If you prefer this to land straight in your inbox, drop your details here!
Technology news, trends and opinions
- Google open sources TensorFlow, an Open Source Software Library for Machine Intelligence. Wired piece here; white paper here; Jeff Dean’s presentation here and Google Research post here).
- Microsoft releases Project Oxford, an evolving portfolio of REST APIs and SDKs for developers to integrate Microsoft tools for natural data understanding. Write up here in Popular Science.
- NVIDIA Jetson TX1 Module Runs Deep Neural Networks for Computer Vision, Machine Learning and Navigation, While Drawing Little Power
- Man, the Machine and War: teaming humans with machine intelligence for defence purposes.
- How satellite data and artificial intelligence could help us understand poverty better
- Dublin Web Summit: How artificial intelligence will help blind people see
- Computer, respond to this email — Google’s auto-responder
- Artificial intelligence: ‘Homo sapiens will be split into a handful of gods and the rest of us’
- McKinsey: Four fundamentals of workplace automation
- Google’s self-driving car got pulled over for driving too slow
- Toyota to spend $1bn on artificial intelligence project in Silicon Valley
Research, development and resources
- Deep learning in a nutshell: core concepts
- Yesterday, 79 years ago, Alan Turning delivered a paper to the London Mathematical Society describing the Universal Machine
- Deep Multimodal Semantic Embeddings for Speech and Images, MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory. The authors develop a model that learns spoken words associated with images using a pair of CNNs, along with an alignment and embedding model. This helps image search and annotation tasks.
- Discovery Radiomics via StochasticNet Sequencers for Cancer Detection, University of Toronto and University of Waterloo. The authors present a framework for discovering custom radiomic features from a large dataset of lung computed tomography images to detect cancer tissue.
- Single Artificial Neuron Taught to Recognize Hundreds of Patterns, Numenta, Inc. Paper here
Venture capital financings and exits
- Elastica, a US business that offers a security ops center for cloud apps and services, was acquired by Blue Coat Systems for $280m. Elastica raised a total of $45.8m since 2012.
- H2O.ai, a provider of open source machine intelligence tools, raised a $20m Series B.
- CB Insights Raises $10 Million Series A from RSTP to Invest in Artificial Intelligence and Predictive Analytics for Tracking the Global Private Markets
Anything else catch your eye? Drop me a line on @nathanbenaich.
Playfair Capital is actively seeking out entrepreneurs building companies that change the way we live, work and play using deep learning, machine learning, artificial intelligence, computer vision, speech and NLP.