News in artificial intelligence and machine learning
…last ten days ending in 6th November 2015. If you prefer this to land straight in your inbox, drop your details here!
Technology news, trends and opinions
- New milestones in artificial intelligence research at Facebook (other write ups here and here):
- Humans and Computers Are Getting Even More Connected
- Marvin Minsky Reflects on a Life in AI (an example of his computer vision work here)
- Artificial-intelligence institute launches free science search engine
- Researchers are struggling to analyse the steadily swelling troves of ‘-omic’ data in the quest for patient-centred health care. — this is a relatively untouched new frontier, in my view. Jun Wang’s new business is called iCarbonX.
- Swiss Re partners with IBM to use Watson cognitive computing to augment their ability to underwrite health and life reinsurance
- Toyota to Spend $1 Billion on Artificial Intelligence, Robotics
- Even consulting practices like Accenture are setting up AI research and development divisions.
- Bosch system to steer attention to vulnerable pedestrian
Research, development and resources
- An Inside View of Language Technologies at Google
- Nervousnet: a distributed, privacy-preserving ‘digital nervous system’. This system “uses the sensor networks that make up the Internet of Things, including those in smartphones, to measure the world around us and to build a collective ‘data commons’”.
- What a Deep Neural Network thinks about your #selfie, Andrej Karpathy
- Distributed Deep Learning for Answer Selection, IBM Watson. An empirical study of the distributed deep learning for a question answering subtask: answer selection.
- Empirical Study on Deep Learning Models for QA, IBM Watson. The authors combine and compare three models, Neural Machine Translation, Neural Turing Machine, and Memory Networks for a simulated QA data set.
- Vehicle speed prediction using deep learning, University of Michigan.
- BinaryConnect: Training Deep Neural Networks with binary weights during propagations, Universite Polytechnique de Montreal/Universite de Montreal. Overcoming limitations that computational capacity impose on the training of and running of deep learning systems by replacing multiply-accumulate operations with binary weights.
- Thoughts on Massively Scalable Gaussian Processes, Carnegie Mellon University.
- Data Mining Reveals the Extent of China’s Ghost Cities, Baidu Big Data Lab
Venture capital financings and exits
- Deep learning startup Enlitic raises $10M from radiology company Capitol Health.
- Appier, a Taiwan-based that uses AI to find the best audiences for ads across mobile, desktop and tablet platforms, raises a $23m Series B from Sequoia Asia and others.
- Uptake, a predictive analytics business using data science to unveil problems in complex enterprise processes before they arise (automotive, healthcare), raises a $45m venture round.
- Premonition.ai, a US business applying AI to the legal sector, raises $3m
- Imagenii joins Techstars Cloud for it’s image CDN, annotation and visual search products.
- Intel Capital invests $22m in 10 companies: one in vision/video in China (Perfant Technology) and another in predictive analytics/ML in Israel (Parallel Machines).
- Nuritas raises $3.2m to discover bioactive peptides in food products.
- WebbMason Marketing Acquires Spry, Inc. and Forms WebbMason Analytics Group
Anything else catch your eye? Drop me a line on @nathanbenaich.
Playfair Capital is actively seeking out entrepreneurs building companies that change the way we live, work and play using deep learning, machine learning, artificial intelligence, computer vision, speech and NLP.