MS Dynamics NAV Data Migration Service
NAV Data Migration is a very critical aspect of a migration plan when a customer is switching the modules from old NAV versions or other non-Microsoft systems to advanced NAV version. NAV offers the migration tool within the administration section. You must have the db-owner database file access to do this.
This means conversion of data from legacy system for loading into NAV using Excel sheets or data port functionality. This data includes customer or company master files, configuration or transactions files.
- Master file is non-transactional data under each module
- Transaction file is transactions under each module (which would be loaded into NAV)
Simple steps to follow:
- Preparation by updating the application code
- Export all the objects
- Prepare the data conversion
- Run database test
- Run the ‘adjust cost item entries’
- Post inventory cost to G/L, if the organization posts inventory costs to NAV
- Convert the database after running alter database
2013 & 2015 versions offers a simple rapid start (data transfer) services to complete the data migration. In earlier versions this was to be done in 5 steps — from data receipt to data port conversion and then updating the live database after testing.
Points to consider: Mapping of each data table with table id, data and mapping. This may not work well with opening trial balances, ledger entries for customers or vendors post few data migrations. This is merely because the data mapping is not perfect or the database is not updated according to opening data tables after the import is done.
For data migration in NAV 2009 SP1/ R2 to NAV 2013 R2 or on NAV 2013 to NAV 2013 R2, the data migration step has been reduced to make it a bit complicated.