Organizations operating on the global front are prone to the operational disruptions caused due to natural disasters, hacking or other cybercrimes, that result into various regulatory issues, claims or loss of critical data. Diverse forensic investigation techniques and processes can help organizations to identify the root causes and collect digital evidences, that can be prosecuted in the court of law to safeguard their data and information protection interests. The forensic investigation theories work on the ‘footprints’ left by the system and device users and hold strategic importance in preventing occurrence of instances, by devising restoration strategies ahead of the time. When organizations presume and prepare for the event occurrences in advance, it is referred as forensic readiness that maximizes their endurance of using digital evidences to identify potential security threats at minimal investigation costs.
How to Achieve Forensic Readiness
Forensic readiness encompasses the following steps, that set a stage to initiate the evidence collection process in the digital forensic investigation:
1. Analyzing business situations requiring digital evidences
2. Source identification and classification of potential evidences
3. Validating the conditions for evidence collection
4. Creating and enhancing capability of collecting legally acceptable evidences to address the compromised scenario
5. Defining secure handling policy for the acquired evidences
6. Ensuring flawless monitoring to detect and prevent major incidents
7. Specifying and escalating the circumstances requiring formal investigation
8. Spreading the incident awareness training to the associated staff supporting digital evidence collection process
9. Documenting the entire case with evidence details describing the incident and its impact
10. Conforming the incident and evidences with legal team to execute remedial action in response to the incident
Need for Forensic Readiness
To maintain the information security and withstanding cybercrimes, forensic investigators are highly-demanded in almost every digitally operational company. A forensic investigator is responsible for assessing forensic readiness and the damage extent due to cyberattacks, by collecting digital evidences having forensic relevance. The forensic investigator is also accountable to analyze and present the admissible evidences in the court of law to prove the crime occurrence and identifying its impact in the organization.
EC-Council’s CHFI (Computer Hacking Forensic Investigation) certification is a world-renowned credential, that instills expertise in collecting, preserving and analyzing the digital evidences in view of using in the regulatory and disciplinary matters. The CHFI professionals and forensic investigators can help businesses with extensive know-how of the security measures and contribute achieving high forensic readiness.
· Low Cyber Investigation Costs: As forensic readiness relates to collecting evidences in anticipation of the cyber event occurrences, the instances of operational disruptions and costs of gathering these evidences are always on the lower side. Effective investigations can be conducted with a forensic readiness plan efficiently while reducing the impact of cybercrime or internal causes to data and security breaches, if any.
· Quick Identification of the Attack Vectors: Creating an efficient forensic readiness plan helps organizations in probing proactively and gaining tight hold over the strategic points, facilitating further detection and incident investigation. Holistically, it prevents malicious attackers from hiding and eases the tracing process.
· Reinforcement of Corporate Governance and Regulatory Compliance: Following a stringent forensic readiness plan helps organizations in driving efficient corporate governance and compliance to the regulations, making the environment less prone to internal disruptions.
· Low Cost of Data Disclosure: Having the preserved evidences handy enables the organizations to present them legally as and when required, lowering the overall cost of the data disclosure.
· Foundation to Uncover Bigger Issues: Forensic readiness plans and their efficient execution help in unearthing and tracing the secretly penetrated malware and intruders into the system and designing a better solution to uncover incidents that might lead to serious issues like cyber frauds, harassments, intellectual property thefts etc. in future.
Adding value to organizations as an on-board forensic investigator, requires deep understanding and hands-on exposure in developing foolproof forensic readiness plans to get ready for unpredictable events.
NetCom Learning helps you gain proficient forensic investigation skills through extensive CHFI training and certification course, delivered by industry experts. NetCom Learning envisions to impart the CHFI training course through diverse training modes and allows you to choose from custom learning schedules, extending the flexibility to take the course at affordable training costs at your convenience.