Online security for digital nomads
There are a few really simple steps you can take as a digital nomad to secure your laptop and internet accounts. Some of these are generic but others apply especially to digital nomads.
- Enable automatic updates and keep all your software up to date.
- Password protect everything: your phone, laptop, tablets, etc.
- Use a password manager. We like the Apple Keychain and 1password.
- Enable 2factor authentication wherever possible.
- Encrypt everything you can, for example your hard drive data.
- Don’t connect to sketchy wireless points, tether from your phone instead.
- When you’re in a coffee shop or co-working space working on their wifi, use a VPN to secure your connection. We recommend betternet.
The last point is particularly important to digital nomads! It really sucks to have your accounts or data compromised. If you follow these relatively simple steps you should be pretty safe already!