Go Digital or die; 19 reasons your Marketing must evolve this year
So you printed handbills, and you managed to convince the local radio presenter to talk about your bar on his show…and so you have marketed right? Well, extend my regards to them in 2001; because that’s where your are.
It is no more news that people no longer ‘go online’ they ‘live online’ and ‘go offline’ for short ‘breaks’. The current culture shift we live in cannot be divorced from man’s increasing desire for More control. And the possibilities to have this control being presented to them by technology.
Remember the National and President TV sets of way back? When you had to sit and watch those boring Bagco Super Sack adverts that interrupted our beloved ‘Tales by the moonlight’. We had to watch every damn advert…including the ones we didnt even understand. The ‘With Condom I dey Kampe’ Advert quickly comes to mind…neither me nor my cousin knew what the heck a condom was back then, but we had to watch Oliseh and the others take turns holding the thing and smiling ‘with condom i dey kampe’…the thought was ‘Abeg commot my face joor’ But that was 1996, we had no choice; in fact in my case, we didn’t even have a remote…neither was there an alternative station to watch. We had to watch it all, 4 pm to 10 pm; NTA all the way.
Fast forward to 2016…mehn with my GoTV, I have choices…just show that Access Bank advert…its goodnight CNN; off to MTV Base. That is the reality! The powers of traditional advertising (radio, tv, print and other outbound means) was based on the fact that the audience had few or no options. Now they have smart, convenient and interesting options that help them dodge you and your adverts! Mobile phones to stare at and Whatsapp to stay engaged; so why collect or read your handbill? Satellite TV with more channels than they can watch…so why stay and watch your commercial? Talk about Content on Demand, people no longer watch the news because it is 4 pm, they watch because they want to…be it 7 am or 12 midnight…they go online, and demand for what they want. Don’t forget Linda Ikeji is there for them…so they wont miss your magazine! Its all about Options, and more options…options that allow the user more control!
The only way to win in marketing in today’s world is to try to sell to them without tampering with their ‘control’…don’t stop them on the road to give a flyer…don’t interrupt Tinsel to show them some skinny models…DON’T…Just storytell them into a conversion, as they live their lives and do what they love…uninterrupted. That is digital marketing.
Locate where they spend the most time…and be a part of those locations! And for 70% of those you want to reach; those locations are on browsers, mobile apps and on computer screens!
Here are some statistics to help you get the gist;
1. 3 out of every 5 car passengers have their eyes locked on their phones! 1 out of every 4 drivers have their eyes on their mobiles too — they aren’t paying attention to the roads anymore…let alone your billboards!
2. 61% of global Internet users research products online FIRST before they make buying decisions
3. People no longer want to be disturbed! Their smiles turn to frowns immediately your advert interrupts their favourite series on Mnet! They change the radio dial as soon as Wizkid’s Ojuelegba ends and your jingle starts playing; not only wont they patronize you…they might dislike you! With Digital Marketing; you sell to them without interrupting what they enjoy!
4. 44% of online shoppers begin by using a search engine (Google and others)
5. 86% of product/service consumers stated that using a search engine helped their decision making a great deal
6. 60% of all organic clicks go to the organic top 3 search results — Be among the top 3 results and you just won a potential customer
7. 50% of all mobile searches are conducted in hopes of finding local results, and 61% of those searches result in a purchase.
8. Imagine placing a billboard that is seen ONLY by likely customers…and you are charged only for those likely customers…. Digital marketing provides brands with accurately targeted advertising. Imagine a Johny Walker Billboard that wont be visible to underage people>>>> That’s the scent of Digital Marketing.
9. 62% of marketers said social media became more important to the marketing campaigns in the last 6 months
10. 63% of all marketers have found a customer via LinkedIn in 2015
11. 46% of all marketers have found a customer via Twitter in 2015
12. Content marketing generates 3 times as many leads as traditional outbound marketing, but costs 62% less
13. What if you could measure all the listeners that tuned-off their radio at the start of your jingle? …With Digital, you are able to see those who aren’t interested in what you are offering; and stay clear of their space or refine what you are showing them. That newspaper Center-Spread you bought won’t tell you that. But the high bounce rate on a landing page will sure do!
14. Wasted Spend is measurable…every kobo that was a waste, is accurately measured!
15. And when leads don’t turn into patronage, you can see at what point they dropped off your train!
16. The number of businesses that say Facebook is critical or important to their business has increased by 75%.
17. 75% of buyers search for information on social media — so your information must be there
18. 80% of business decision makers prefer to get company information in a series of articles versus an advertisement. Blogs become necessary
19. 28% of marketers have reduced their advertising budget to fund more digital marketing.
What more can I say, Must the death of Old Media be the death of your business? Go Digital!
From my LinkedIn