What SEO is NOT!
Welcome to the age and time where everyone is an Online Expert. More people own websites now than ever before, and so the need for sharp understanding of how to win in the Online Space becomes necessary. Well, most people claim to have this skill, forgetting that this whole ‘Online Thing’ is still in its ‘formation phase’ and we all have to keep learning what works!
One phenomenon in the online world is what we call SEO! That is, how websites win or loose on search engines; SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION! Oh yea, you think you know what SEO is…well, you might not. SEO is often misunderstood, and that is not strange at all. We have been told that this is very key, and the race is on to figure it the heck out!
But SEO has been brutally misrepresented in the many assumptions and myths widely believed to be true. And trust me, if you dont get SEO right, you cant win! The ease with which people find your through search engines (google especially), determines your fate in this game, Period! In Nigeria, 70 percent of internet users use google first, before thinking of any website. That is, they first ‘google it’ and they go from what Google shows them.
Point 1; People trust the results on the first page ONLY Point 2: Google works extra-hard to keep poor results off their result pages!
This is how Google became ‘Google’…people could trust their results! And so making your website show-up among those trustworthy results is a task you must face! If there is an article on ‘Low Sperm Count’ on your website…the man who needs to read it will not type your web address into his browser…No he wont! He’ll search on Google, and if you don’t show up…well, the treasures on your website might just lie unnoticed till Thy Kingdom Come! let me restate in bold if you don’t win in SEO…You lost!
In exploring what SEO is; I want to share with you what it is NOT!
Here are the Myths
1. A game of link Building: People believe the More the Links the Better…Hell NO! Too often, when businesses hire someone to do link building, they focus on the quantity of links rather than their quality — but linking is not a numbers game anymore! Invest in content…quality content, that will give google reason not to keep you on the 100th page of the search result!
2. Keywords are Everything…believe this? If you think this is true, hey pal you are still stuck somewhere in 2005! Google has people on its pay-role whose jobs are basically to make sure that pages with poor content dont get ranked. Even the keywords a spanking hot! The algorithms get trained continuously, trust me… Work more on making sure that when you Optimize a page for ‘Fast Food’, what is on the page is actually about Fast Food!
3. I just need a Good Ranking! Big Lie…Well, things have changed and ranking is not the supreme end goal that it used to be. Regardless of how you rank, the quality of the rich text/snippets attached to your link matters a lot on whether or not you will get that click.
4. The more the keywords, the better….So you think because you have an online bookstore, loading your website’s keywords tag with all the best selling authors and titles will guarantee your winning….well, that’s another misinformation! Decide that one keyword you want that page to be identified for, and optimize for that keyword. By Optimize I mean, let your Header, description and other tags contain the keyword…and let the content of that page actually be about that keyword! Read through this article, and tell me what keyword it should try to rank for… ‘GOOGLE’ and ‘Keyword’ looking good, don’t they? Google is no longer trying to match the keywords you type into its search engine to the keywords of a web page. Instead, it’s trying to understand the intent behind the keywords you type so it can match that intent to relevant, high-quality content.
5. SEO is a game to fool Google!Well it is not! You cant win if you are trying to be witty…In fact the moment you approach the task with a mindset of outsmarting search engines…well trust me; you wont win with Google!
6. The more the pages on my website, the better..That’s so NOT true! Those who strive to have lots of pages on their website also tend to overlook the quality of that content. And search engines prioritize quality over quantity. So spend more time making the few pages you have as valuable as possible! It will benefit you more.
On a final note, any Search Engines that gives poor quality results to its users will loose the interest and trust of those users. So serious minded engines do their best to ensure they recommended high quality websites ONLY! Endeavor to publish what is best and let your content be as useful as possible. If its useful, your SEO will produce better results!
From my LinkedIn