Help us Power the Off Grid World
Location: San Francisco, CA
Off Grid Electric is an international, venture-backedstart-up that’s aiming to light a million homes in Africa over the next years with clean and affordable solar energy. We are designing and manufacturing best-in-class solar home systems for the African off-grid market with a globally distributed team: a field Engineering office in Arusha, Tanzania, design team in San Francisco, California, and a manufacturing and quality team in Asia. Our user centered design tenets balance building an aspirational energy product for our customers and a designing mass-scalable product that can be produced in the millions.
As a key member of the our Hardware Development team, the Electrical Engineer will contribute in many areas including hardware development, manufacturing, quality and NPI support. Our hardware and firmware design efforts cover a broad spectrum including efficient solar chargers, power management electronics, payment systems, GSM modems, efficient LED lights, etc.
You will collaborate with the existing electronics and mechanical team to develop new products and bring them to market as well as act as sustaining engineering for the current product suite.
Your designs will impact the lives of many. Our system live at the centerpoint of the homes of our customers, for many of whom this is the first electrical appliance they own after a cellular phone. This role will fit you naturally if you have a passion for efficient electronics and a high level of attention to detail.
- Schematic Capture and PCB layout (Altium Designer perferred)
- Write product requirement documents
- Contribute to product development and testing phases through technical research, component and PCBA testing, data collection and analysis, and other related development activities.
- Design, build, and program test equipment for functional, qualification, and verification testing.
- Contribute to analysis of Product designs relative to DFx Criteria
- Engage in second-sourcing qualification (Approved Vendor List) activities at component level
- Establish effective corrective action plans with vendors and provide guidance for the development and improvement of test methods and processes
- Conduct First-Article Inspections (FAI) on new products and revisions
- Monitor and react to quality and reliability excursions through product life cycle.
- Facilitate new product introduction (NPI) on location with Asia manufacturer
- Assist in NPI in East Africa
- Experience in electronics prototyping and embedded system design
- Demonstrable programming skills in C/C++
- Experience using Altium for board layout
- Strong electronics and firmware debugging and troubleshooting skills
- General EE lab experience: soldering, measurements using scopes, DMM, data logging H/W, etc
- Familiarity with data acquisition and data analysis
- Excellent written communication and technical writing skills (e.g. reports, technical memos, work instructions)
- Bachelors of science in Electrical or Electronics engineering
- Over 3 years experience as electrical engineer
- Have gone through the entire product development cycle from inception to mass production
- Ability to travel to East Africa and Asia 15%
- Experience with desktop app design
- Familiarity using Looker, C#, Python
- Familiar with Lithium Battery Management principles
- IoT experience
- Previous startup experience and familiarity with a distributed team work environment
- Visit some of the loveliest and most exotic parts of Africa
- Work to solve energy access for more than one billion people living off the grid in Africa
- Work with some of the smartest, most committed, and hardest working co-workers in a distributed environment.
Send us info about yourself to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll get the ball rolling from there!
How do you get electricity to the millions of people who still don’t have it? One answer is to build an electricity…www.fastcoexist.com
Companies working to bring solar to developing countries need to improve their service delivery if they want to attain…www.greentechmedia.com
Feb. 2 — Off Grid Electric CEO and Co-Founder Xavier Helgesen discusses bringing solar power to Africa. He speaks on…www.bloomberg.com
The continent skipped land lines for mobile phones. Now a new generation of start-ups is trying to bring sun power to…www.csmonitor.com