Electrical Engineer Battery Systems
Uncover hidden opportunities to make a global impact
Off Grid Electric is a growth-stage startup that’s on track to light a million homes in Africa over the next couple years with clean, affordable solar energy (see the articles at the bottom of this post). At the heart of our business is innovative solutions that delight our customers. We‘re now looking for a skilled Electrical Engineer to help us build world-class energy solutions for Africa.
This may be your dream job if you’re someone who dreams of combining your knowledge and skills enabling Off Grid Electric to change the renewable energy landscape. You’ll also need to be passionate about bringing solar energy to off-grid and other underserved markets — billions of people around the world — with the unique social, technical, and business challenges that come along with it. You love those uncrackable problems–the ones that you have a knack for cracking–and are inspired by the opportunity to unleash whole continents of human potential, and motivated to help build a truly epic business.
Off Grid Electric is seeking for an Electrical Engineer, Battery Systems to join our team in San Francisco. The Electrical Engineer is a skilled and motivated individual to design and develop our integrated battery systems. This individual will collaborate with a cross-functional team of engineers to deliver best in class battery systems that will enable a more reliable and sustainable global electric infrastructure. This innovative team player will be responsible for:
- Design and development of digital and analog electronics for control of high power electronics systems
- Collaborative work with mechanical, digital control, thermal design, and manufacturing test engineers.
- Start to finish ownership of control boards and other electronics — from specification to design, prototype, and manufacturing.
- Collaborate on controller architectural decisions to drive robust system design.
- Product level electrical design including component selection, branch circuit design and insulation coordination.
What we are looking for
The successful candidate will possess or demonstrate the following personal and professional attributes:
- BSc or higher degree in Electrical Engineering (MSEE preferred).
- 6+ years of demonstrated successful experience in electrical engineering within a product design and manufacturing environment.
- Experience in selection and use of DSPs, microcontrollers, and programmable logic devices and their peripheral circuitry (signal conditioning, board-level power supplies).
- Experience in development of digital and analog interfaces for PC-based test systems, especially (Labview, Matlab, Python).
- Experience in supervision of PCB layout, plane definition, and EMC optimization.
- Proficiency with basic EE tools (scopes, network analyzers, etc.)
- General familiarity with power semiconductors and their gate drive and protection circuitry.
- Travel to some of the loveliest and most exotic parts of Africa
- The opportunity to directly improve millions of lives. By bringing sustainable electricity to a part of the world where 90% of people have no grid access. Few other activities can provide as fundamental impact to human lives as this.
- World-class medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Some of the smartest, most committed, and hardest working co-workers in a distributed environment
Are you interested in this position and join our team in San Francisco, let’s connect and send your resume via email@example.com.
About Off Grid Electric
Off Grid Electric, through its consumer brand Zola, combines Silicon Valley technology with local expertise to offer African homes and businesses a long-term solar solution to an unreliable grid. Adaptable to both energy needs and income, Off Grid Electric’s solution can be bought over time through a leasing structure. The first few watts starts a chain reaction that enables people to achieve commonly held aspirations: security, education, access to information, and a longer and more efficient day.
Today, Off Grid Electric powers more than 100,000 homes and businesses across Tanzania, Rwanda and Côte d’Ivoire. Off Grid Electric’s investors include: SolarCity, Vulcan Capital, DBL Partners, The Packard Foundation, Helios Investment Partners, and responsibility. Off Grid Electric is the recipient of the 2016 UN Momentum for Change Award, Zayed Future Energy Prize, and the 2015 Global Cleantech 100. For more information, visit offgrid-electric.com.