Engineering Lead, Power Electronic Controls
Uncover hidden opportunities to make a global impact
Off Grid Electric is a growth-stage startup that’s on track to light a million homes in Africa over the next couple years with clean, affordable solar energy (see the articles at the bottom of this post). At the heart of our business is innovative solutions that delight our customers. We‘re now looking for a skilled Engineering Lead to help us build world-class energy solutions for Africa.
This may be your dream job if you’re someone who dreams of combining your knowledge and skills enabling Off Grid Electric to change the renewable energy landscape. You’ll also need to be passionate about bringing solar energy to off-grid and other underserved markets — billions of people around the world — with the unique social, technical, and business challenges that come along with it. You love those uncrackable problems–the ones that you have a knack for cracking–and are inspired by the opportunity to unleash whole continents of human potential, and motivated to help build a truly epic business.
The Power Electronics Controls and Modeling Engineer is responsible for dynamics modeling, algorithm design, and controller implementation for managing power resourcing between the grid, batteries and solar power supplies. You will drive controls design through all stages starting with topology discussions, concept stage, modeling, implementation, and validation. The highly variable grid conditions across Africa’s sub Saharan region will make this a challenging but rewarding project. This innovative team player will be responsible for:
- Outline controller requirements based on system performance requirements
- Evaluate new topologies for controllability and fit to system needs
- Develop controls strategy, and define the supporting algorithms
- Develop dynamic models of the system, and tune controller algorithms accordingly to optimize performance
- Translate algorithms into software implementation, and work with the firmware team to integrate that into the firmware framework
- Test, validate, and troubleshoot controller implementation
- Develop and utilize computer simulations (Matlab/Simulink, HiL, SiL) to investigate new algorithms, modifications, or corner-case events
- Support safety/compliance testing
The successful candidate will possess or demonstrate the following personal and professional attributes:
- 8+ years of experience (or equivalent) developing, implementing, and testing power electronics controls
- Proven track record of successful execution of complex engineering projects
- Strong analytical skills with solid device, circuit, and controls theory fundamentals
- Strong hands-on testing and troubleshooting skills
- Experience with embedded firmware development for real-time controls systems
- Familiarity with safety and compliance standards for grid-connected power electronics
- Familiarity with grid operation is a strong plus
- Travel to some of the loveliest and most exotic parts of Africa
- The opportunity to directly improve millions of lives. By bringing sustainable electricity to a part of the world where 90% of people have no grid access. Few other activities can provide as fundamental impact to human lives as this.
- World-class medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Some of the smartest, most committed, and hardest working co-workers in a distributed environment
Are you interested in this position and join our team in San Francisco, let’s connect and send your resume via firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Off Grid Electric
Off Grid Electric, through its consumer brand Zola, combines Silicon Valley technology with local expertise to offer African homes and businesses a long-term solar solution to an unreliable grid. Adaptable to both energy needs and income, Off Grid Electric’s solution can be bought over time through a leasing structure. The first few watts starts a chain reaction that enables people to achieve commonly held aspirations: security, education, access to information, and a longer and more efficient day. Today, Off Grid Electric powers more than 100,000 homes and businesses across Tanzania, Rwanda and Côte d’Ivoire.
Off Grid Electric’s investors include: SolarCity, Vulcan Capital, DBL Partners, The Packard Foundation, Helios Investment Partners, and responsibility. Off Grid Electric is the recipient of the 2016 UN Momentum for Change Award, Zayed Future Energy Prize, and the 2015 Global Cleantech 100. For more information, visit offgrid-electric.com.