Sr. QA Engineer
Help us make the apps that bring power to a continent
Off Grid Electric is a growth-stage startup that’s on track to light a million homes in Africa over the next couple years with clean, affordable solar energy (see the articles at the bottom of this post). With a distributed global team concentrated in San Francisco and East Africa, we’re now looking for whip smart software team members who bring lateral thinking, experience-based pragmatism, and fearlessness in the face of the unknown. You will fall in love with this role if you can get passionate about bringing solar energy-as-a-service to off-grid markets — over 1.3 billion people around the world — with the unique social, technical, and business challenges that come along with it. Naturally, you’ll be hungry for adventure, inspired by the opportunity to unleash whole continents of human potential, and motivated to help build a truly epic business.
As a core member of the software and analytics team, you’ll help define and create new product features and experiences for our rapidly growing customer base and workforce. Our team is responsible for Off Grid’s core platform, Surge, the “operating system for the business.” Surge provides much of the magic behind the three key areas of the operation:
- Managing our distributed workforce: automatically dispatching and coordinating the activities of thousands of field staff in multiple countries
- Customer payments and service: enabling all mobile payment transactions and delightful customer interactions for our rapidly growing customer base
- Distribution and delivery of solar systems: managing the movement of massive numbers of solar systems and appliances such as low energy TVs from factories through home installation.
Off Grid is creating opportunities for thousands of local workers to participate in a high tech startup, and Surge enables us to do this with extreme efficiency, scale, and reliability.
We are looking for a senior quality assurance engineer to develop and manage our QA practice. You will run exploratory and automated testing procedures for our range of software applications — from enterprise Web applications, to consumer quality Android mobile and tablet apps, to custom software that runs connects our solar systems to our data warehouse. Your leadership will guide our other QA testers to estimate, plan, and implement all of our testing activities. You will also ensure that quality issues and defects are appropriately identified, documented, tracked, and resolved in our bug tracking system.
This role may be located anywhere in the world, with primary timezones Pacific Time (GMT -7:00) and East Africa Time (GMT +3:00).
- Review requirements specifications and technical design documents to provide timely and meaningful feedback
- Create detailed, comprehensive and well-structured test plans and test cases
- Estimate, prioritize, plan, and coordinate testing activities
- Design, develop and execute automation scripts using open source tools
- Identify, record, document thoroughly and track bugs
- Perform thorough regression testing when bugs are resolved
- Proven working experience in Web and/or mobile software development
- Proven working experience in software quality assurance
- Strong knowledge of software QA methodologies, tools, and processes
- Experience in writing clear, concise and comprehensive test plans and test cases
- Hands-on experience with both white box and black box testing
- Hands-on experience with automated testing tools
- Working knowledge of Test/Debugging tools and SQL
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process
- Experience with performance and/or security testing is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills, as you’ll be defining explicit steps to reproduce bugs and communicating directly with local and remote developers
- Assertive and independent, able to work alone or with a team
- Problem-solving and analytical abilities with good planning, organizational, and follow-up skills
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment
- Able to multitask within an environment of rapidly changing priorities
- Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Understanding of APIs
- Competency with automated UI tests
- Past experience working with user interfaces for multiple user types
- Fluency in both English and Kiswahili
What do we offer
- A dynamic and challenging work environment with many opportunities to develop yourself both professionally and individually.
- The resources to build world class software
- A competitive salary with growth perspective
Send us info about yourself to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll get the ball rolling from there!
The World is Watching
How do you get electricity to the millions of people who still don’t have it? One answer is to build an electricity…www.fastcoexist.com
C. Schubert, via Flickr If off-grid startups want more venture dollars, they should start thinking like tech firms…www.greentechmedia.com
Feb. 2 — Off Grid Electric CEO and Co-Founder Xavier Helgesen discusses bringing solar power to Africa. He speaks on…www.bloomberg.com
By Tanzanian standards, Nosim Noah is not poor. A tall, handsome woman with the angular features of her fellow Masai…www.csmonitor.com