Our previous blog post talked about mold treatment: what it is, why it’s a problem, and how to get rid of it if it’s in your home. Today we’re going to talk about what you can do to prevent mold from coming back.
Mold requires 3 things to grow:
- Mold Spores
Unfortunately, mold is not a very picky eater and eats everything from dust and dirt to soap scum.
The key to preventing mold growth is to remove sources of moisture. Here are some ideas:
- Keep humidity levels below 50% in your home (you can get a hygrometer from your local hardware store to check this).
- Run your bathroom and kitchen exhaust fans to help remove moisture when bathing and cooking.
- Wipe down the shower and bath, taking special care to remove soap scum from the grout and caulking after each use.
- Let the shower curtain completely dry after each use.
- Remove carpeting in basements.
- Allow for air circulation under mattresses and along the inside of exterior walls.
Certain materials are less prone to mold growth. We at Organic Lifestyle not only focus on healthy materials that don’t off-gas, but also those that will support healthier air quality by choosing naturally mold-resistant products.
Here are some of our favourites:
You can also choose mold-resistant green building products. Here are a couple of recommended products:
Concrete sealer to reduce moisture migration through basements
When painting mold-prone areas, choose paint designed for high-moisture areas as they are more resistant to mold. This doesn’t mean you should paint over mold — always remove it first. But using a Kitchen & Bath specific paint can help prevent future mold growth (along with Kitchen & Bath specific moisture control strategies mentioned above). Choose a low-VOC product (like Benjamin Moore’s Aura) to reduce your exposure to toxic chemicals often found in paints.
I hope this answers your questions about mold, and what you can do about it. Unfortunately, if you’ve found mold in your home that keeps coming back or doesn’t go away, you may need to dispose of products like carpets and mattresses or do more extensive remedial work to eliminate it. We know this can be an expensive endeavor, which is why we offer price-matching and payment plans to help you choose healthier products for your home and your family. Please reach out if you have any questions!
Originally published at Fumbling towards an Organic Lifestyle.