Blonde Apple Brownie
My good friend Erika recently got engaged! Yay!! I love her and if this couldn’t get any cuter her fiancés name is Eric… Eric and Erika! Love it! So to show her how excited and happy I am for her I decided to bake something special. Now, I was a little overwhelmed with the different choices I could bake for them. Erika is also a foodie and enjoys many sweets, so I could go in a lot of different directions. Luckily there was one pretty obvious solution… apples. Why apples you ask? Well if Eric couldn’t get any cuter he proposed to Erika when they were staying in an adorable house over Memorial Day weekend that had an apple orchard as the back yard! But then my heart sank a little… when I think of apples, I think pie. Now I’d like to consider myself a pretty good baker, but I have a secret… I can’t make pie crust to save my life. (If anyone has a good recipe they’d like to share feel free to send it my way!)
So what am I going to make with apples? I didn’t want to make an ordinary apple dessert like apple crisp, apple dumplings, or apple strudel. No, I had to make something that celebrated their engagement. Since there is nothing better than a slice of apple pie, I decided to create a dessert with the goodness of apple pie minus the pie crust. I ended up coming up with a blondie apple brownie extraordinaire aka The BABE! This was inspired by an apple brownie recipe I found on allrecipes.com. I followed the recipe so it would bake in a 9×9 inch pan but then I went to Home Goods and found the most adorable ceramic heart dish bowl which I instantly wanted to present the dessert in. I wasn’t sure how the ratio between batter to heart shaped pan would work, but I was willing to test it out.
I was a little nervous when I checked in on the baking and found that some of the batter was dripping down the side of the dish, whoops. Also I probably shouldn’t give a gift of food if I haven’t made it before. But you see Erika and I have this relationship where I make some food and she will happily be my test taster. So even though I was nervous about giving her something I had never tasted before, I also knew she would give me an honest review. I was so surprised when she told me that she and Eric really enjoyed the dish! I will have to make it again and let you know what I think of it too!
Regardless of the dessert, I am so happy for my friend Erika! Congratulations Eric and Erika!
Blondie Apple Brownie
Inspired by Apple Brownies
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 extra large egg
- 3 apples- peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 c all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×9 baking dish
- Peel, core, and dice your apples. Toss with lemon juice, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Heat the 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet then add the apple mixture and cook until just tender. Set aside to cool.
- While waiting for the butter to melt sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Next combine the melted butter, sugar, and egg until fluffy. Make sure your butter has had a minute or two to cool, otherwise you might get some scramble action from your friend the egg.
- Fold in the apple mixture to the egg mixture. Then ever so gently add the flour mixture into the wet mixture until just combined. Pour the mixture into your prepared 9×9 baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I added a little powdered sugar decoration by cutting heart shapes and letter out of paper and placing them on the dessert. Then I dusted with powdered sugar! Viola!