7 Ways to Avoid Plagiarism Consequences
Any Plagiarism Consequence Can Be Harsh
Being found guilty of plagiarism can have severe consequences. As a student you may be suspended, receive a failing grade in the class or even be expelled from school. If your work involves writing plagiarism could result in losing your job. Plagiarism on papers written years ago can cause a degree to be revoked and may prevent you from finding employment or enrolling in another school. Not all responses to plagiarism will be the same and in some cases a reprimand may be all that happens. However you can never be sure exactly how plagiarism will be dealt with. The best way to avoid all of potential consequences is to avoid plagiarizing. Of course you can do it via paraphrasing services, but here are also other ways.
Ways to Avoid Plagiarism in Your Papers
There are many techniques that can be used to avoid plagiarism and the information isn’t kept secret. By the time they reach college most students have been made fully aware of what it takes to avoid plagiarizing. Here are 7 different ways that plagiarism can be avoided:
- Paraphrase: When you find information you would like to use in your paper don’t just copy it word for word. Paraphrase it, do rewording sentences and put it into your own words. A proper paraphrase should change the wording and structure of the text while retaining the original meaning that the author intended. Nothing should be added and all key points should be covered.
- Quotes: Use quotations in your paper to avoid plagiarism. When quoting a source the words should be exactly the same as the original and enclosed in quotation marks. Instructors prefer the use of quotations be kept to a minimum and generally prefer that you paraphrase. However it is acceptable if not over done.
- Cite: Cite the source of quotations and paraphrased material and make sure to follow the appropriate document formatting guidelines. There are a number of different style guides that may be used. Check with your instructor if you are unsure which style guide you should use. Quotations and paraphrased material may be cited differently. Make sure you cite correctly.
- Cite your own material: It is possible to plagiarize yourself. If some of the material you are using for a research paper was previously used by you on another assignment you must cite the text even though you are the one that wrote it. It can be cited just like any other resource text that you use. Failing to cite material you have written and used previously is known as self-plagiarism.
- Be meticulous in recording resource material when researching. Write down every source you are considering using and keep your information organized. It is easy to lose track of where you found different information and it is risky to use anything that you aren’t sure where it came from in a paper. Many papers include a reference page at the end documenting every source that was used. Recording the information right from the start will save you plenty of trouble later.
- When in doubt cite a source. Not all information you use will have to be documented. Material that is common knowledge for example, doesn’t need a citation. If you are unsure whether something needs to be cited, go ahead and do it. Citing something you don’t need to is a minor mistake but failing to include a citation is plagiarism and will cause you plenty of problems.
- Use a plagiarism checking tool on your own paper before you submit it. There are plenty of tools available online and many of them are free. Even if you are sure everything is cited correctly it doesn’t hurt to check it using an online tool to make sure that nothing has been overlooked inadvertently.
As we see, the best way is to use paraphase tool. However it is easier than you might think to detect plagiarism in papers. The reason many people aren’t caught is because through pure luck their papers aren’t checked. Most plagiarized work will not stand up to close scrutiny.
Use this list of 7 ways to avoid plagiarism to write a paper that is legitimately your own and order our services to get totally perfect result!
Image credit: gettyimages.com