Image credit: bustle.com
Complete a PhD in Sociology
Sociology is the study of social behavior or society, including its origins, development, organization, networks, and institutions. It employs various methods of empirical investigation and critical analysis in order to develop a body of knowledge about social order, disorder, and change. Some sociology research may be applied directly to social policy and welfare, while other research may focus primarily on the theoretical understanding of social processes. Earning a sociology PhD indicates that you have the knowledge, skills and ability to conduct research in the field at the doctorate level. Thus in order to be awarded a doctorate in sociology one of the major requirements is to write a dissertation based on original research you have conducted.
See also these PhD topics in physics, you have never heard about!
Choosing PhD Topics in Sociology
A major part of completing a PhD degree in sociology is the dissertation which is written based on original research you have conducted. Although research should contribute something new to the field this does not preclude you from researching the same topic as somebody else. You may feel the topic should be approached differently or build on the work somebody else has done. Here are six actual topics in the field of sociology that you may want to consider:
- Modern Slavery and Trafficking in Human Beings
- Harassment and Bullying on Social Media
- Mean Girls: A Study of Competition between Young Women
- The Gender Bias: How Men and Women are treated differently in Law, Media, and Social Interactions
- The Relationship between Poverty and Education
- Class and Contentment: Does Money Buy Happiness?
You can also to glance some topics from close fields, for instance PhD thesis on social media.
Tips and Suggestions for Writing the Sociology Dissertation
It is probably safe to say that your sociology dissertation will be the most difficult paper you have ever written. Every sociology PhD program will have its own dissertation requirements you will be expected to meet. Here are a few tips and suggestions for writing your dissertation regardless of the program you are in:
- Choose a topic you have a passion for: It’s a terrible feeling getting halfway through your dissertation only to realize you are bored stiff with the topic. Try and select a topic that will continue to hold your interest
- Don’t procrastinate: Get started on your dissertation as soon as possible. You can be pretty sure that you will encounter problems along the way and you will need time to resolve any difficulties. You also need to leave plenty of time for revising, proofreading and editing
- Don’t try and make it perfect: Some students feel that each page has to be perfect before they can continue to the next. Don’t worry if your first draft isn’t perfect. They never are. Write first then you can go back and polish it at a later date
- When in doubt cite it: to avoid any plagiarism issues you need to make sure all sources you have used are cited properly. Write down all citation information so that you don’t have to go back and dig for it later. If you are unsure whether or not some information requires a citation include one. Better to cite unnecessarily than to be charged with plagiarism
- Proofread: Most students have been told this since high school but even at the PhD level some fail to properly proofread their papers. Spelling mistakes and grammatical errors are unacceptable at this level.
Most students will run into difficulties when writing their dissertation. Don’t be alarmed as this is normal. When you encounter problems writing your paper our company can help. We provide a sociology dissertation writing service that can assist you with every step of the process. Our professional writers have sociology PhD degrees and are well acquainted with what makes a good dissertation.