Raise your child as a Good Decision Maker
Greetings from Prakriya Academy!
Like adults, children make a range of decisions every day!
The key skills children need to develop for decision-making are:
1. Identifying when a decision needs to be made
2. Thinking of possible options
3. Evaluating the options, and choosing strategies for making the decision and reviewing how it works.
Here are ways to help develop children develop good decision-making skills
1. Allow children to practice making choices: Giving children opportunities to make choices helps to build their sense of responsibility, as well as their decision-making skills. Showing interest in their choice helps to reinforce that you see their decisions as important.
2. Talk about everyday decisions: Involve children in your own decision-making. For example, you might say, “I’m trying to decide whether to take up a sport to get ﬁt or go to a dance class. Which do you think I should do?” Talk through the advantages and disadvantages of each suggestion so your child can learn how to thoughtfully evaluate different options.
〈 identify the decision to be made
〈 think of options
〈 evaluate the options and choose the best one
〈 put your choice into action and check how it works.
3. Ask questions that promote thoughtful decisions: Asking open-ended questions that prompt children to think through their reasons for choosing a particular option. Some good questions include, “What do you like about that?”, “What makes this the best option?”, “How would this work?”
These skills will help them understand the link between making decisions and taking action.
Like our Facebook page for updates: https://www.facebook.com/prakriyaacademy/
Prakriya Academy Research & Development Team