What’s the Matter — Art Bible

Through this blog, I will be writing about what kind of art we needed for our board game and how we went about doing it.

At the start of the development process of this game, we were unclear on how we were going to present the board. We had a simple idea of using a monopoly style board, which we later rejected because it was too generic. When we came up with the concept of using science, we thought that it would be insane if we could design a board that would look like an Atom.

Early concept of the board

We also had different scientists with different abilities each based on the work they were famous for. The early concept we had was a serious looking set of character cards.

Something like this

We also had a graphic designer who was super interested to work on this game and he suggested that the look of the player characters should be more cartoon-ish rather than being a completely serious game. This was an idea that all of us liked and decided to implement that into our game.

Cartoon-ish style representation

The design for the different action cards the were present in the game were also important. At first, we just had names of the actions they did on paper. This was not nearly good enough as there was no aesthetic appeal to it what so ever. So we decided to ask Simon if he could come up with a few ideas and show it to us. He came up with 2 or 3 iterations and we suggested our inputs of what we had in our heads and came up with some awesome concepts for it which was I think made perfectly.

We also needed the back side of the above cards to look good. Our first thought was to have a generic atom on the back side, but because we were getting such awesome designs, we were no where nearly satisfied with plain and simple.

Decided to go with something like this. Simple but elegant

The good part about this art bible was that my colleague Adam took suggestions from all of us and then gave a vision to all of ideas. He was the driving force behind this kind of art. He constantly asked us to pitch in different kinds of ideas we had and then once the ideas was final, he made sure that they came through.

The biggest thing that we can learn from here is that we started relatively small and our ideas were very limited at that point of time but once we had a solid concept and went through different play-tests the concept art became clearer and stronger and then turned into a high concept design.