5 Tips for Your First Internship
When it comes to internships, be present, be focused and be prepared for opportunity.
By Bianca Blando, @bianca_blando
So you’ve landed your first internship — congrats! This is your chance to show the world what you’ve learned and your first step toward your ultimate career goal. Such an exciting time can also be filled with anxiety as you wonder what to expect. Take a deep breath and read my 5 simple tips for internship success.
1. Choose the right company. Between your advisor, professors and family, there can be a lot of pressure to just start an internship, any internship.
Only take an internship with a company where you will be treated as an asset and can learn. If you have a negative internship experience, it could turn you off of your field for good.
2. Visit your internship location in advance. You might learn that a construction project is going to double your commute or there is public transit stop nearby. This is also a great opportunity to check out the local coffee shop and get a feel for your new surroundings.
3. Ask questions! This applies to the basics like what to wear and who to report to, but also carry this tip with you beyond your first week. Asking questions helps you learn and grow, and shows your coworkers that you are interested and want to succeed.
4. Create a relationship with your supervisor. This person will act as your guide during your internship experience (and if you’re lucky, as your advocate after you leave). Be open to his/her advice and feedback, and you will start to see your work improve. Make sure your supervisor knows what your goals are so they can help you achieve them!
5. Challenge yourself to raise your hand when new opportunities arise. If a different department needs help, offer yours. If you have the chance to shadow employees in other parts of your company, take it. You may feel out of your element at first, but you’ll come out of your experience with a set of skills that is uniquely you.
Click here to learn more about the internship program at Publicis Health agencies.
Bianca Blando is a 2016 social strategy intern at Digitas Health in Philadelphia, a Publicis Health company. She studies public relations and advertising at Rowan University (Class of 2017). In addition to her abiding love of Nutella, she is obsessed with renovation shows like “Fixer Upper” and “Love It or List It.” Follow her adventures at BiancaBlando.com.