Hi there! My name is Masaki @QueerESL and I’m a queer writer and video creator in Japan who creates stuff mostly about/against heteropatriarchy. My preferred gender pronouns are he, him, they, and them. I’m also into drawing, music production, and photography.
I studied sociology of gender and sexuality in college (International Christian University, Tokyo) and graduate school (the University of Chicago), researching mostly straight women’s fight against sexism, misogyny, homophobia, and transphobia.
After spending my late teen years and early 20’s in New Zealand and the U.S., I moved back to Kitakanto (area north of Tokyo) in 2011 where I’m originally from, and started working as the co-owner and co-manager at FAT CATS, a minority-friendly, discrimination-free dining space that my mother and I started in 2014.
Writer & Speaker
I’ve also been freelancing since 2015 as a writer and speaker on various topics pertaining to gender and sexuality. Publishers include Seidosha, wezzy, wotopi, and Human Rights Association for Korean Residents in Japan. Hosts include universities, queer activist groups, professional associations, and ethnic minority groups.
Most of my writings and lectures are in Japanese, but here’s a lecture I did in English for Aoyama Gakuin University in 2017.
A guest lecture at Aoyama Gakuin Universitymedium.com
Please contact me at email@example.com for business inquiries.
In exploring non-text format mediums for expressing myself, I started vlogging in 2015 on YouTube.
I occasionally make videos in English, and this is the playlist of the ones available in English (either spoken or subtitled).
Illustration & Photography
In 2017, in addition to my interest in queer photography, I took up drawing to better visually express myself. See my Instagram art account for more drawings.
480 Followers, 103 Following, 23 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Masaki C Matsumoto／マサキチトセ (@queeresl)www.instagram.com
My illustrations appeared in mika’s Magical Time-Traveling Dog Therapy: a canine-assisted therapeutic modality for treating complex trauma without tearing time-space continuum (2018).
Combining electro-pop and kayokyoku, I have made some queer-themed songs which you can listen to on YouTube.
- 2018 | Chatty AF (Anime Feminist Podcast) Episode 72 "BL Manga" with Devin Randall and Vrai Kaiser
- 2018 | Speak Out! Japan’s LGBTQ+ Community Responds to Politician Sugita’s Discriminatory Statements (Anime News Network)
- 2018 | Gay Japanese Vlogger Discusses Boys-Love in English-Subtitled Video (Anime News Network)
- 2018 | Documentary film QUEER JAPAN by Graham Kolbeins (to be out in 2018)
- 2016 | Global Voices profile by Navin Thompson (in English, Malagasy, Spanish, and Greek)
- 2016 | [Interview] Masaki C. Matsumoto, queer and feminist activist (Anime Feminist) — Esperanto translation is here.
Please consider supporting me via Paypal so I can spend more time writing, creating videos, and drawing queer-themed illustrations etc. Thanks!