Best Recovery Strategies for CrossFit
Alright, CrossFitters, let’s be honest with each other. Recovery is the name of the game. When you consistently push your body to the limit, you have to give it time to recover effectively so you can get back out there and motivate yourself to move onward and upward toward your goals.
Recovery doesn’t work if you are eating the wrong foods, don’t get enough rest, or become lazy on other recovery principles. Check out this simple, but effective, list of 5 things you can do to best recover from your CrossFit workouts.
1. Fuel your body correctly and often- 30 minutes before your workout, you could fuel up with some foods like: oats and wholegrain bread for quick carbohydrate increase, dried fruit for instant and light carbs, and Greek yogurt for an easy-on-the-stomach protein punch. These foods will help you get the energy and strength you need to really push yourself through the workout. Post-workout foods can lead to increased recovery times and should include blueberries, bananas, kale, tart cherries, salmon, and fast-digesting carbs.
2. Get great sleep- The quality of sleep is much more important than the length of sleep you get each night. The suggested nightly amount of sleep for an adult is eight hours, but everyone is different and may require more or less than the suggested amount. Some athletes need only six hours of sleep each night, while others need up to nine hours. Listen to your body and give it what it needs.
Also, remember to sleep on a clean and cool surface to allow optimal body circulation. Recovery bedding can be great for this because it is built to keep you cool in summer and warm in winter while protecting you against allergens and dust mites.
3. Meditate- Meditation is healthy for the mind and body because it resets your stress and allows vital organs to relax and heal. Meditation each day keeps your body energized and self-healing.
4. Reward yourself- Cheat Day is a good and healthy day. Eat well and do what you can to be a healthy individual, but let yourself enjoy a doughnut or a hamburger once a week. A sugary or fatty meal once a week reboots the body’s metabolism making it easier to burn fat.
5. Set ample time between workouts- Make sure you have at least 24–48 hours of rest between intense training of same musculature. This will prevent injury from overworking your muscles and tendons.
Be sure to listen to your body and give it the care and rest it needs. It is amazing how much more you can do when you are paying attention to the things your body is telling you. Best of luck in your fitness endeavors.
Visit our YouTube Channel for more information on the latest fitness tips https://www.youtube.com/user/REMFitLife