Logbook: September 22, 2016

Transkei, South Africa

Yesterday, nearly finished with our most recent camping excursion, we drove for nearly 3 hours on mostly gravel roads. These aren’t the comfortable, soft dirt roads you sometimes get, these dirt roads have gullies, massive potholes, boulders and all sorts of animals walking across and down the road. That’s how most of our drives have been, so, mentally, we’ve gotten used to the jarring, but yesterday’s ride was particularly offensive for no reason other than the misfortune of being last on the itinerary. We’d had enough, and we were praying vehemently for there to be a tar road just around the bend. It’s also been quite a busy week, filled with hiking, waterfalls, cliffs and very random accommodations, so our bodies are worn out. Along the way we stayed at a couple backpacker camps and got to enjoy the company of some new people, odd as they may have been. Last night we found a campsite that was virtually empty save for one other vehicle, and we reveled in the solitude as we cooked our usual South African ‘boerewors’ over the fire pit.

Boerewors — South African sausage that must contain at least 90% meat, the other 10% comprised of spices and other ingredients. A ‘Boer’ is a Dutch South African farmer, and ‘wors’ means sausage.

Boy, do South Africans love their meat… take your pick: Drywors? (dried boerewors) Biltong? (dried and sliced: kudu, beef, impala, wildebeest, etc.) All are delicious, all cause overconsumption, and I couldn’t care less. If you feel an itch to try something, try to find Biltong. It’s like jerky, but better. I’m no chef, but apparently the difference is that biltong is made with fresh fillets of meat that are spiced, cured and dried, while jerky is cooked and then dried?

After our dinner we were all very happy to go to bed and sleep on our disgustingly dirty pillows for the last night of this camping excursion.