Kurt Cobain: The Conspiracy Theory
Frontman Kurt Cobain, of the 90’s legendary band Nirvana, was found dead in his apartment by an electrician on April 8, 1994. Reports stated he had taken his own life after using a massive amount of Heroine and shooting himself in the head with a shotgun, taking his own life. However, the investigation had many discrepancies and suspicious circumstances during Cobain’s last days alive. This lead fans to believe the story the press was reporting was all part of a staged death and elaborately planned crime scene.
Conspiracy theories have always peaked my interest and I wanted to bring this particular theory to light. There is a group of people out there who believe that Cobain IS still alive and hiding under the identity of Rivers Cuomo, frontman of the famous band Weezer (pictured below). Both Cobain and Cuomo have reservations about fame, their guitar sound is similar, they’re almost the same age, and they kind of resemble each other.
Here are a few facts to consider:
- Weezer formed in 1992 when Nirvana was falling apart.
- Nirvana and Weezer tour dates/shows never crossed over or conflicted with each other
- Weezer’s debut album was produced by Ric Ocasek, lead singer of The Cars, who was a known friend to Cobain.
- Cuomo keeps a formula book of all of Cobain’s songs, deconstructs them, and has a documented obsession with Nirvana. Weezer plays entire gigs of more obscure Nirvana covers under the name “Goat Punishment.”
- To this day there is no photographic evidence confirming that Cobain is dead or, more importantly, that he died the way police reports claim.
I could get all crazy and break the conspiracy theory down even more, but the above are the top 5 facts I want you to think about. Do you think this theory is true and we never lost Cobain? Could the musical mastermind have faked his death and created yet another untouchable famous group?
Let us know what you think in the comments below. Thanks for following Rifftime. You complete us.