The Potential Of Segment Routing For Far-Reaching Networks
Segment routing is a very potent thing that can easily transform the way in which MPLS networks work The technology is gaining more and more popularity with every passing day. It is the key to simplify MPLS networks. The best thing about it is that it gives an interfacing benefit along with software defined networks and permits the source-based routing. It performs this action without keeping the state in center of the network.
MPLS aka Multi-Purpose Label Switching is a centrally progressing paradigm among all major network service providers. As the name implies, it uses labels for forwarding the data packets, thus offers the prime advantage of Border Gateway Protocol. For assigning the labels, the often used protocol is the Label Distribution Protocol. Scalability and stability in any protocol can be attained by following as few protocols as possible in the core of the system. The administrators must try to keep the state as much away from the network core as possible It also leads to certain drawbacks in the LDP, like:
· It employs an extra protocol for running all devices only for generating labels.
· It brings forth the chances of traffic blackholing as the IGP and LDP fail to get synchronized.
· It fails to embrace the global label space which means the adjacent router will use a very different label for reaching the similar router.
· It is pretty difficult to watch the Label Switched Path (LSP) due to the above given issues.
· It may need some time to recover post link failure in case session protection is not used.
Segment Routing comes to rescue under such conditions. It is an advanced forward paradigm that offers source routing. It simply means the source will define the route that will be taken by the packet. Untill now, the SR uses MPLS for forwarding the packets, however, the labels are carried ahead by an IGP. In this process, every single node gets a unique identifier which is known as node SID. The identifier is pretty unique globally and is usually based on a loopback over the device. Adjacent SIDs can also be there for locally important labels in a segment between any two devices.
Thus, segment routing simplifies things as much as any other process in this game. It can easily lead to irrelevancy of RSVP-TE and LDP in near future. You can estimate it to be as effective and helpful as various CCDE Certification and workbooks.