We Can Create Change in 2018
By Melissa Wyatt
In 2017, our country was at a crossroads — but instead of sitting on the sidelines, our generation stood up and fought for our values and our future. Now, the 2018 midterm elections are here and we’re ready to claim our power at the ballot box.
Here’s how I know we have the power to change our country.
We’re showing up at the polls.
- Millennials had a 279% increase in voter turnout in Philly’s 2017 District Attorney primary.
- We made history in Virginia this past November — youth voter turnout for state elections doubled between 2009 and 2017.
- Young voters defied expectations in Alabama and helped determine the outcome of December’s U.S. Senate special election.
We’re taking action for our communities.
- People across the country — especially women — are running for office in record numbers.
- Movements like #MeToo and #TakeAKnee made issues like sexual harassment and police brutality impossible to ignore.
- We stood in airports and took to the streets for issues like immigration reform, women’s rights, and racial inequality.
We’re holding our elected officials accountable.
- At Rock the Vote, we helped deliver more than 1 million petitions on issues like Jeff Sessions’ nomination as Attorney General, access to voting, affordable healthcare, DACA, and more.
- In 2017, Americans flooded Congress with up to 1.5 million calls a day with concerns ranging from healthcare to net neutrality.
- We showed up at town halls and told our elected officials about the issues we face.
And this year, we have the power to influence the direction of our country and elect leaders who share our vision.
- 36 states will elect a new Governor.
- 88% of state legislatures have elections.
- Every single seat in the U.S. House of Representatives will be on the ballot.
- 1/3 of the Senate is up for election.
- There will be ballot measures and countless local races throughout the country.
We are the largest, most diverse generation in our nation’s history, and we’re ready to make our voices heard. Join us to #RockTheVote in 2018 and we’ll make sure you’re informed, prepared and vocal.