Remarks by President of the Senate, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, at the commissioning of the Obiri Ikwerre — Airport Road, Rivers State. July 7, 2018.
1. I greet you all on this wonderful day in Rivers State in which we are able to celebrate the floating of new projects that will bring considerable improvement to the public amenities in this state and enhance the standard of living of its people.
2. I am very happy to be here, and I must say what a pleasure it has been, enjoying the pleasant delights of Rivers State on this glorious day. I thank my host, the Executive Governor of Rivers State, His Excellency Nyesom Ezenwo Wike, CON, for the marvelous reception and hospitality I have been accorded so far today in the Garden City.
3. It is a well-known fact that development without built access and infrastructure will lead to decline in many areas of human endeavour. Whereas, infrastructure in its own capacity can always be counted on to improve the economic, social, and developmental status of any community. That is why today’s commissioning of the Obiri Ikwerre — Airport Road is so significant; and I congratulate the people of this state for the greater access they and other Nigerians will enjoy as a result.
4. From my interactions with the people of Rivers State, I have come to understand that this project is one that holds a special place in their hearts. Strategically, this project, the Obiri Ikwerre — Airport Road, will not only improve access but also free up the inner city and decongest connecting roads while reducing total travel time.
5. Economically, the linkage between the Local, International Airport and the City comes with numerous advantages today that hitherto were impossible. Moreover, the beauty of this road and the ease it will bring, would be most appreciated during festive periods, as it will hold out more options for road users.
6. For this and many other reasons, I have no doubt that this is a project that will set a mark as a lasting legacy amongst the many other impressive achievements of the state government.
7. I would like to thank the Executive Governor, once more, and duly commend him for his efforts in ensuring the dividends of democracy are extended to his people.
8. I thank you all, and on this note, I hereby commission the Obiri Ikwerre — Airport Road for the benefit of the people of Rivers State in particular and Nigeria as a whole, and most importantly, to the glory of God.
PRESIDENT OF THE SENATE