The Perfect Job Hunting Checklist
Searching for a new job can feel like an endless, thankless task. A combination of scouring job boards, writing cover letters, preparing resumes, and cramp from keeping your fingers crossed means it’s not entirely stress-free! Here at SaneBox, we understand your pain. That’s why we’ve worked with our good friends over at Recruiterbox to put together the perfect checklist for all your job hunting needs.
Here’s a the SaneBox Scoop on job boards, applications, networking, cover letters, resumes, and other tips to turn you into a job hunting ninja!
Checklist to Work Out The Jobs You’re Best At
- Understand exactly what your skills, education, training, and experience are.
- Create a shortlist of roles that you are well-qualified to do and are interested in.
- Establish the industries and sectors you want to work in.
- Review ads for similar roles to ensure you meet the areas recruiters are looking for.
Checklist to Find the Ideal Jobs
- Search for job boards and job websites that advertise for the type of roles and the industries you’re interested in.
- Sign up or subscribe to job boards so you’re notified as soon as jobs are posted.
- If the board does not have a subscribe option, use an “If This Then That (IFTTT)” recipe to get an email whenever a new RSS post is added to the board.
- Setup a folder in your email program that collects all your job board notifications.
- Regularly review your emails and apply to jobs within a couple of hours of them being posted.
Checklist to Polish and Perfect Your Resume
- Review your resume and make sure it collects all of your latest skills, experience, and expertise.
- Ensure your resume has lots of hard facts, data, and statistics on exactly what you managed to accomplish and how you did it.
- Tailor your resume to highlight points relevant to the positions you’re applying for.
- Create three or four slightly different versions for when applying to specific job roles.
- Proofread your resume three times.
Checklist to Create an Awesome Cover Letter
- Ensure you’re well qualified for the role.
- Double-check the job posting and make sure you talk about their specific points, requirements, and approach in your cover letter.
- Don’t use a generic template or cover letter — customize!
- Build your cover letter around how you will solve their issues.
- Use words like “you” and “us” as much as you use words like “I” or “Me.”
- Get to the point quickly.
- Don’t be afraid to stand out and highlight key facts from your resume to demonstrate why you would be a perfect fit for the role.
- Get the recruiter’s name — this makes a huge difference.
- Do diligent research on the business and reference that in your cover letter.
- Don’t forget to attach your resume.
- Proofread your cover letter three times before you send it.
Checklist to Network Like a Pro
- Find business networking events in your area.
- Have business cards and resumes ready.
- Go along to the event and create genuine, beneficial relationships with others.
- Ask easy questions to join groups and integrate.
- Don’t try and sell yourself. Let your interests and skills come out in conversation.
- Don’t forget to follow up after you leave.
Checklist for Networking Online Beautifully
- Contact previous colleagues and start new conversations.
- Let them know you’re interested in finding a role and see if they can suggest anything or connect you.
- Get referrals and recommendations from former colleagues.
- Join forums, online communities, and LinkedIn groups in the right industries, sectors, and roles.
- Answer questions and build up your authority and reputation.
Checklist for Using SaneBox and Recruiterbox to Give You the Edge
- Use SaneReminders to remind you to follow up.
- Use SaneNoReplies to see who hasn’t replied to your inquiries and follow up.
- Use SaneNotSpam to make sure real replies from recruiters don’t get lost.
- Review Recruiterbox’s business guides to see what recruiters are looking for.
Following these checklists can give you a big advantage over the dozens of other people who are applying for the same role. Understanding your expertise, polishing your resume, finding the right positions, creating an awesome cover letter, and proper networking will give you the boost you need to land the dream role. Good luck!