NappY — The App for Nannies

Week 1 — UXDi Case Study

During this first week at General Assembly we worked in pairs to discover a problem that our partner was having that we then had to solve by creating an app.

User Research — Getting to know you, getting to know all about you…

In order to find a problem that we could solve we first had to get to know our partner better. This was done by conducting user interviews. During this process I got to understand my user, Sophie, better. I asked her questions about her daily routine, her likes and dislikes, what she enjoys doing and her struggles. Through these interviews I found that she was struggling because she just didn’t have enough hours in the day to do everything she needs to get done. She recently had her first child and has embarked on an intensive 10 week course, as well as all her other responsibilities.

Concept Mapping

Creating concept maps helped me to digest the information better and from these maps I was able to see that Sophie was having issues when sharing information and communicating daily with the nanny. This is when I came up with my first solution.

I wanted to create an app that could help parents and nannies to track feeding and sleeping, give them the ability to share information, set tasks and message each other. I started sketching ideas for screens in order to get a better idea of how it might look.

Storyboarding and Flows

After sketching the various screens that would be in my app I came up with a first iteration of my storyboard and user flows.

As I was creating the user flow I struggled to see a single happy path. This was because there were so many different routes through the app. At this point I could see that I needed to find a focus but was struggling to do so.

Critique and Feedback

During our first critique I received some excellent, and much appreciated, feedback that helped me to locate which function to focus on. After I presented them with my ‘Monster app’ they advised me to look more specifically at the task section of the app I had designed and build on that.

This feedback brought me onto the second iteration of my storyboard and user flow.

From this user flow you can see that there is one single happy path to get through the task adding process. Bingo!

Prototyping

Once I had confirmed this new focus with my user I started drawing screens that would be used for the paper prototype. My first iterations were very simple with a bar at the top that contained the burger menu, search function or adding a new user or task button.

I started with a user screen but found through testing my paper prototype that it wasn’t a necessary step. In the next iteration this was removed and the user would land immediately on the baby homescreen. From this point you could easily add a task by selecting a date and then going through to the ‘Add Task’ screen.

My first iteration of the ‘Add Task’ and ‘Who?’ screens both had add buttons on the top right corner so that additional favourite tasks and users could be added. This caused some confusion on the ‘Who?’ screen as there was no way to confirm a new task, except for using the ‘+’ button.

However, through testing, it became apparent that adding new users would be a task that wouldn’t happen very often. This meant that I could put the button to confirm the task up there instead.

Sophie had told me that she didn’t want an app that would end up adding time to her already busy schedule, so I wanted to simplify the process and the look of the screens as much as possible. These changes helped me to do so with my second iteration.

Time to Marvel

Using Marvel I digitised the paper prototype. I was then able to test the second iteration of the app with different users to get some feedback on the layout and functions.

From the feedback gathered I realised that the way of adding tasks was not self-explanatory. The few people who tested NappY all had the same problem. When they wanted to add a new task to the schedule instead of using the add button on the top right corner they all tried to directly select a time slot on the schedule.

“They look more juicy and inviting to click on”

The reason I hadn’t had this as an option before was because I wanted there to be as little data entry needed as possible. I thought if people were able to select a time slot directly they would want to type something in there and that would add time. However, I realised that there is a way that this could be done and still go through to the next page. If you were to click directly on a time slot on the schedule this would automatically select the start and end time. The default length in time would be 30 mins but you could change this in the preferences to be shorter or longer.

I have reflected this change in my Marvel prototype so you can now select a time directly instead of the add button in the top left corner.

Thinking of the future…

For future iterations I would like to:

  • Integrate all the features of my original design.
  • Improve functionality of all the buttons.
  • Sync NappY with the NHS “ Red Book” (how vaccinations, weight and height are currently tracked).