Music business/industry reading list
Randall D. Wixen opens The Plain and Simple Guide to Music Publishing with The Emperor’s New Clothes, an adage still pertinent for today’s working musicians and composers. It’s foolish to work in the [music] industry if one doesn’t understand it.
Numerous musicians and creators have recently asked me where learn more about the music business, so I’ve compiled a list of essential reading material. If there are egregious mistakes or omissions, please let me know in the comments below.
Disclaimers: I’ve read or skimmed nearly all of these. This is not a complete list of useful educational material, and I’m not making any warranties that you’ll find any of these useful for your career. Some links are affiliate links: if you purchase the books, I get a few cents to fuel and sustain my coffee habit.
- All You Need to Know About the Music Business (Passman, 2015)
- Music Business Handbook and Career Guide (Baskerville, 2012)
- This Business of Music (Krasilovsky, 2007)
- The Future of the Music Business (Gordon, 2015)
- The Business of Music Licensing (Cooke, 2013)
- Dealmaking in the Film & Television Industry (Litwak, 2012)
- Kohn on Music Licensing (Kohn, 2009)
- Plain and Simple Guide to Music Publishing (Wixen, 2014)
- The Art of Music Publishing (Gammons, 2011)
- Music Publishing (Whitsett, 2000)
- Take Care of Your Music Business (Kellogg, 2014)
- Little Book of Music Law (Shavers, 2014)
- Music Business Contract Library (Forest, 2008)
- Musician’s Business and Legal Guide (Halloran, 2007)
- Music Law: How to Run Your Band’s Business (Stim, 2015)
Record Label/Artist Management/misc:
- Secrets of Negotiating a Record Contract (Avalon, 2010)
- This Business of Artist Management (Frascogna, 2004)
- This Business of Concert Promotion and Touring (Waddell, 2007)
- This Business of Music Marketing and Promotion (Lathrop, 2005)
That’s it for now. Let me know if you came across a fascinating read that needs to be included in the list.