We’re hiring: Bookseller, Libreria Bookshop
Libreria, the new bookshop in East London, is looking for a bookseller to provide insightful, intelligent and generous service to our customers and event partners.
You’ll help run events, be a friendly and useful resource to customers and process book sales when required. This role will consist of working weekends and late nights as you will be embedded in our events process.
You’ll be a direct and rigorous communicator, a believer in the power of checklists and processes, uncowed by numbers and schedules, and, of course, a lover of books. You’ll get to know the whole operation inside out and be excited by our possibilities for growth and experimentation.
Libreria has attracted significant attention since opening in February 2016, with media coverage from the Guardian, Wallpaper and Evening Standard. Located on Hanbury St, London, the bookshop sits across from Second Home, the workspace and cultural venue. Both sites share the same co-founders, Sam Aldenton and Rohan Silva.
Main elements of role:
- Being customers’ first point of contact when they visit Libreria, answering their questions, making recommendations where appropriate and making sales.
- Lead on running events during the week and operate the shop on weekends by following set up and break down procedures.
- Handling payments, both cash and through the electronic point of sale (EPOS) system.
- Placing orders and book reservations for customers; stock-checking books.
- Helping create in-store and window displays.
- Undertaking general housekeeping, such as unpacking, stock replenishment and tidying.
- Reviewing sales performance and meeting team sales targets.
As the ideal candidate, you’ll:
- Have a passion for books, literature and storytelling of all kinds.
- Be available on weekends consistently and be able to work more shifts when there are events in the week.
- Be willing to get your hands dirty with day-to-day tasks but also to contribute ideas for how to improve Libreria.
- Be a genuine ‘people person’ who finds interaction with colleagues and strangers stimulating.
- Naturally adhere to the credo of both Libreria and Second Home: you pay attention; pay it forward (you’re generous and go above and beyond); never cut corners; and leave everything better than you found it.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a CV, cover letter and a paragraph on contemporary fiction to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 12 September 2016.
The bookshop was designed by the award-winning Spanish architectural practice Selgas Cano, and drew inspiration from Jorge Borges’ short story The Library of Babel, with a thoughtful aesthetic and carefully curated shelves. The name “Libreria”, which means “book shop” in Spanish and Italian, is a nod to its cosmopolitan outlook.
Libreria blends the best of the digital and analogue worlds. The space operates a no-phone policy, designed to create a sanctuary away from the bombardment of modern life, while at the same time using custom-made software to manage the store itself, developed in collaboration with a digital agency specialising in publishing.
Second Home is an accredited London Living Wage employer.