I want to share 5 principles that are effective for mastering/learning a new skill.
Over the past three years, I have had the unique experience of starting and leading a school that places over 350 software engineers at technology companies like YouTube, Uber, and SalesForce. I also trained myself to be a photographer and practicer of yoga.
My experience in education, teaching, and learning has lead me to find a number of effective learning principles. I will attempt to elaborate on these principles using photography as the skill to learn.
- Have the desire. You should really want to learn photography. Take the time and write 5 bullet points and email yourself why you want to learn photography.
- Build confidence. It helps if you have the confidence that you will become a professional photographer. It often helps to talk to another photographer and hear/see their story.
- Take baby steps. Start by taking pictures/videos on Instagram. That’s what I did!
- Be consistent. Try taking one picture a week that you share with some friends via text message. Read more here.
- Ask others for help. Ask Google or ask your friends for criticism on your pictures.
Want to become a photographer? Try the above 5 items. Want to learn something else? Try reapplying these principles.
Not sure how to learn a new skill? Don’t have time? Not sure what to focus on? Please share what you want to learn and myself/others will help you.