Throwback Thursday — Community Management 101
By Shannon Abram, The Community Roundtable
Looking to get started in community management, or just need a refresher on the basics? Check out these community management 101 resources! We’re highlighting the fundamentals of community management in this week’s #throwbackthursday post — including an exclusive glossary of community management terms for members of TheCR Network!
This week’s #throwbackthursday focuses on Community Management 101 — getting back to basics with some fundamental community definitions.
- Defining Community — The challenge with the word “community” is people mean a lot of different things when they say it, but there are few definitions. Joshua Paul at Socious took a crack at this issue and provided some great suggestions on how to differentiate between several meanings of the word, highlighting the preposition that comes before it. Is it ‘The community’, ‘our community’ or ‘a community’?
- Differentiating Between Social Media and Community Management — As someone who works with social media managers and community managers, it seems the line between the two types of positions is not terribly clear — and maybe doesn’t need to be — but I think it would be helpful to distinguish between the two. Why?
- Community Types and Terms Defined — There still seems to be a lot of confusion and disconnects when people are talking about their community or talking with The Community Roundtable about how being a member of TheCR Network can help them. And it’s not surprising. Much of the lingo and concepts are still very new in organizations and understanding what lens you view community practices through is important.
- Connection, Friend, Member — Who’s In Your Company’s Online Ecosystem? — We came across this article last week about defining your online community to higher ups, and it resonated because people mean a lot of different things when they use the word community. As the article so aptly states, it is hard sometimes to understand if you are “referring to the online community at large, the community of people that your organization interacts with online, or an online community where your customers, employees, or partners can engage one another and support your customers or members.”
- For TheCR Network Eyes Only: Community Management Glossary — Are you a member of TheCR Network? Check out this exclusive glossary of dozens of community management terms — and add the ones you think need to be there!