Five airlines refused to pay passengers compensation for delays face troubles

Five major airlines face enforcement action from the UK aviation regulator for “systematically” denying passengers compensation for late flights. They have all been notified of legal action brought by the British Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) after they failed to pay out for delays that resulted in passengers missing connecting flights. According to European consumer law passengers are entitled to compensation for delays of over three hours late.

Airlines are also liable if their late running causes a passenger to miss another linked flight which means they end up reaching their final destination over the three hour limit. So it’s disappointing to see a small number of airlines continuing to let a number of their passengers down by refusing to pay them the compensation they are entitled to.

The law applies to most flights in and out of Europe even if the operator is based outside the continent.

How to claim compensation for late flights?

Under EU law passengers can claim compensation of up to €600 for air journeys that are delayed for three hours or more.

If your flight is delayed you could be entitled to compensation or a refund, so make sure you know your rights.

What’s the sum of compensation?

Flight distance Up to 1,500km (932 miles), Delay more than 3 hours

Entitlement €250

Any flight within the EU over 1,500km (932 miles) or any other flight between 1,500km-3,500 km (2,175 miles), Delay more than 3 hours

Entitlement €400

More than 3,500km (2,175 miles), More than 4 hours

Entitlement €600

Dispute resolution

If you have an unresolved complaint about an airline it is required to inform you about an alternative dispute resolution (ADR) scheme that you can use.

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) hold a list of approved providers of ADR and the airlines they cover.

Regardless of whether you choose to use the CAA, you still have the right to take an airline to the small claims court if you feel they are unfairly refusing your compensation. Probably you may need additional Construction from aprofessional attorney which will provide more specific details regarding your case.