SheDemos is a collaboration between SheStarts and Babson’s WIN Lab built to highlight high-growth female founders and their startups in the city of Boston and beyond. The night will begin with over a dozen startups showcasing their products to the public, followed by the top five teams pitching their products to a panel of esteemed judges. At the end of the pitch sessions, one winner will be announced and awarded thousands of dollars worth of in-kind prizes. Those not in the final five still have a chance to bring home prizes as the “fan-favorite”, the company that garners the most votes from the event’s attendees.
The 5 teams selected to pitch at SheDemos are:
Care Academy provides standardized online education to create excellent, professional caregivers for older adults. It is helping to build a standard where there is currently no standard for in home care in the U.S. Care Academy has staked its business in providing a resource for millions of families to learn to care for their loved ones, while putting care and the ”silver tsunami” of our aging country and disparities of childcare front and center.
CliqBit is a social platform that uniquely combines the humor and personal spaces on the internet. Drop the news and ditch the drama, you come to CliqBit for a good time and a quick laugh. With hysterical editing tools, a lighthearted culture, and unique layers of disappearing options and privacy, CliqBit equips people to easily create custom funny content to share with their friends.
kweliTV is an interactive, streaming TV network dedicated to the stories, issues and culture of the global black community. It offers indie films, web shows, documentaries, and news programming of the entire African diaspora. KWELI (KWAL lee) means “TRUTH” IN SWAHILI.
WatchRx is building an easy-to-use watch, that’s also a built-in phone and GPS, dedicated to helping seniors take their meds on time, stay connected in real-time to their family and live independently in their homes as long as possible. The watch is first-of-its-kind designed from ground up for patients with usability challenges taking multiple medications, many of whom have chronic conditions, low vision and cognitive limitations.
X-Factor Films is a “Neflix” for millennial women. Mainstream Hollywood caters to men in 85% of its content and all major digital entertainment companies name men 18–24 as their demographic. But Hollywood movies starring women make 20% more money on average and there are 850 million millennial women in the world to serve.
The 10 teams selected to showcase are:
- Barakat Bundle: a curated bundle of life-saving solutions to support moms in delivery and infant care inspired by the Finnish Baby Box
- Date My Wardrobe: a marketplace to discover local fashion designers for high-end fashion rentals with an option to buy
- Drop Zone for Veterans: Founded by a female combat veteran, DropZone is an online search directory that connects military veterans and their families with high-impact, independent benefits
- NutriCount: empowers & educates the Type 2 Diabetes community, specially low-income populations, to make life-style changes in their nutrition
- Price&Beyond: a new generation furniture marketplace. Consumers offer what they are willing to pay against the listed prices. Once the deal is reached, item is heavily promoted on social media and available for the whole online community for 48 hours.
- Readocity: motivates kids to read by facilitating age-appropriate, relevant book selections with input from parents, teachers and curators. Easy to use app gets great books in the hands of eager readers.
- Stina & Mae: Motherhood Organized Beautifully. Diaper bags and accessories designed for function, style and quality in mind.
- StoryShifter: a new entertainment for the social good
- Wanderful: a global membership community for women who travel
- Womentum: a pay it forward nonprofit crowdfunding platform that allows anyone to donate to women entrepreneurs all over the world
See 5 teams pitch and 10 teams compete in the showcase on November 9 for a chance to win great prizes. Also, attendees will have a chance to meet additional teams participating in the Babson WIN Lab. There will be food, wine, and lots of great startups to meet. Register for the event here.