In the realm of Design: My Journey as a UI/UX designer and UX writer
From Architecture as a professional course to UI and UX Experience Design as an option in a technological era.
Design is broad, and with various types of design comes different technicalities.
A designer is a common terminology in the field of life, but it is not immediately clear what they actually do in the day to day activities. What type of designer are you?
Are you an Architect, a UI/UX or Graphics designer?
Design related roles exist in range of areas from industrial design such as cars design, furniture design to design of prints such as magazine and other publications to software and screen design that are tech related such as website and mobile Apps.
There are number of different Responsibilities encompassed in the world of design, in this context, the design narratives will be related to the tech influx focused on creating interfaces for screens either in mobile app or desktop version known as User Interface and User Experience Design.
Before proceeding, have in mind that a design problem has no single right answer, it is about your problem solving skills, creative imagination and empathy with the end user.
Let explore the different options as regards product design in the Technology space:-
User Interface Designer:
Is involved in the design process, from communication till user testing.
UID are the ones working with visuals and icons, they are responsible with making screens appealing using font, style and colour to design websites, apps and other products. They sometimes perform the combined role of a user experience and interface designer.
User Experience Designer:
Popularly known as UX designer. They are primarily concern with how the products feels to the user.
The user experience designer is responsible with the logical flow of how the aesthetic and functionality of the design flows with the user using the combination of user persona, design brief to determine the outcome of the product.
A product designer is the one responsible with the creation and feel of a product.
A product designer combines conducting user research, design user interface and create visual assets especially in a small team or start up. It is the combination of the task of a UI and UX design.
Interaction Experience Designer:
IX designer are the one that focus on the process a user will experience while using the screen.
They are responsible to determine the flow of UI/UX to determine which of the interfaces or experiences functionality is taking time or fast after the design process, pre and post products release.
User Interface and User Experience Researcher and Writer:
Are the ones that conduct survey and provides write up for different categories and subcategories of the products.
Why do Design Matters?
• Before the actual reality of a product, design matters. It is the password to the feel of how the outcome of a product will look.
• It aids the human psychological perception of the platform they are to react with.
How To become a UI/UX Designer:
- Color Scheme: To become a UI/UX Designer, it is necessary for you to know the application of color Scheme and its application.
- Typography: The strategic use of typography and fonts will go a long way in making a screen product design outstanding.
The nature of the brief, it purpose and usage demands different typography.
- Spacing, Grids and Layout: As it is in Architecture, it is also important in UI/UX, space planning and arrangement.
The grid sets, the typography use and the layouts will be appealing to the end user provided the spaces are well planned.
- Design Tool for Design: The knowledge of different designs tools such as sketch, Figma or Adobe XD is important in the use of design.
- User Experience Design Process: It is paramount that you as a designer understands the needs of your end users through personas, researches and design brief and also, understand them well to come out with a positive outcome.
- Color Combination and lack of adequate white space:
The lack of good combination of color implies poor design. As well, lack of white spacing in the arrangement of the interface leads to cluster design.
The Power of Good User Interface and User Engagement:
- serves as a competitive advantage for you or your company to others as it serves as a pain killer to the end user and not just a vitamin, thereby creating more engagement.
- A good user interface enhance brand and increase good customer relationship thereby increasing monetary value and client relationship.
Human-centered User Experience Design:
To create human centered design is to
- Emphatize: with the users, feel their pain, their imagination, their needs, wants before providing a solution.
- Define: their Challenges through researches, questioning, wireframing, Design prototyping.
- Ideate: that is bring a visualisation of the Challenges into mindset and a close model in a paper.
- Prototype: low and high fidelity that will be tested with potential users for constructive criticism and feedback.
How To Have a Human Centeric Design in User Interface and User Experience
- Easily navigable menus: Don’t make menus complex, simplicity and Communicating buttons are important.
- Simple, aesthetic and functional design is paramount.
- Don’t ignore usability testing before launching.
- Be consistent with fonts, colors, typography, grids and maintain balance with white spacing.
- Create a communication link for feedback after user testing.
- Don’t forget your start up or individual success depends on your design, if it is not human centered, it is bound to fail.
How Designer Solve Challenges:
- Have an eye for a problem or to solve Challenges in your daily life.
- Brainstorm over your idea and dedicate at least 3hrs to solve the problem.
- Be curious and ask yourself why the Design and what more to do.
- Design the Challenges on screen and test them out.
With the aforementioned, you are on the right track to become a designer.