“My father, Rudolph Rehyanski was a Corporal and participated in 5 campaigns such as Normandy, Northern France Ardennes, Rhineland, and Central Europe.

He was with the 83rd, 308th Engineer Combat Battalion Co. B. His separation date was December 30, 1945 in Fort Monmouth, New Jersey.

I remember him telling me he met General Patton with his platoon. My sister has a picture of him holding his army bag. I have a love letter from a girl in France to my father during the war.

Dad is pictured here in service, with his group standing in the t-shirt second from left and after the war in his business suit. He married my mom in 1950. After the war, he was a produce manager and then worked for Ward Baking Co. He lived in Parlin New Jersey for 60 years. He used to attend reunions and was active in VFW and American Legion.

One time my father was in England and passing Stonehedge and another fellow said, “what’s that, and my father said haven’t you heard of Stonehedge?” Also, my father had a very bad case of strep and had a break from August to September on his discharge papers, and that is when they sent him to a hospital. When he got back, and there was a 10 day pass for some of the sick guys and they would draw straws for it. I guess my father was lucky because he got 10 days in Switzerland. That is how I have that letter from Hotel Astoria in Switzerland from a woman named June.

When crossing the English channel, Dad said how the men were either so scared or throwing up. The water was turbulent. The storm had delayed them getting to normandy, by I believe 12 days. He was in the 2nd wave and when he pulled up and got off that landing boat, he said it was just red with all the bodies and blood.

Here is a short story about my dad. In the 1980 s, I had to take my father for a mammogram, so a plastic surgeon could remove a mole that my father had near his chest. The radiologist came out and asked my father, if he had ever been shot. He ssid, “well I was in the war.” The doctor said that he had metal in his chest which could of been shrapnel metal from the war. Dad said it was so cold in the winter of the bulge, that he never ever knew what hit him…

He always told me stories of how he sent his mother the money he made in the war. She was a Hungarian immigrant as was his father. My father had told me that when he first arrived home after the war, that he would sleep with a gun under his pillow. He was always very open about the war, whenever I asked. He said it was a way to see the world.

I lost my dad on December 9, 2014. He was 89 yrs.old.

Rest in Peace, Dad.”
~ Mary DeOre

We are very grateful to Mary for sharing her father’s photos and service. Please share your family photos of those who served, so we may feature and honor them on COMES A Soldier’s Whisper, where we are all connected.