How Your Mindset Affects Your Success As A Solopreneur
(This post is part of a series on successful solo businesses. You can find the link to the first post here.)
“Once your mindset changes, everything on the outside will change along with it.” — Steve Marabol
Let’s imagine for a moment that your rock climbing tenure on the face of a large steep cliff. Today’s climb is going well so far but suddenly you find yourself facing a large seemingly impossible area of rock. You look around and you just can’t see your next move.
What would you do? Would you stay there and try to figure it out or you give up and head back down?
The Importance of Mindset
You can run into moments like this running your business. You go to be working hard and things are going good and all the sudden boom! You hit an impasse. No solution in sight.
What happens next determines success or failure. A successful entrepreneur will find a way to move forward. The question is how?
The answer lies not in the challenge you face but how you see the challenge. If you’re stuck, it’s the way you’re thinking that has you stuck. You must change the way you think about a situation to see it in a new light.
This is why your mindset is so important in business. Your mindset is your mental attitude, it’s how you respond to a certain situation. Your mindset determines whether you see an insurmountable obstacle in front of you or a problem to be solved.
What I mean my mindset? Your mindset includes your beliefs in your attitudes towards a particular situation. You developed those beliefs and attitudes through your life experiences. Those experiences became a source of new beliefs, values, emotions, and self-esteem. It’s the brain’s way of remembering something meaningful has happened and how it turned out.
I say this because, in my experience, your mindset is the biggest factor in your success. When started training solopreneurs, I thought it was all about teaching business skills. I soon realized that business skills were only part of what they were missing. They lacked the mindset that would help clients overcome their challenges.
So that’s why it’s important to have self-knowledge. You have to know why you behave in a certain way when faced with a new challenge. Not knowing why you behave a certain way keeps you in that behavior. You will see things the way you always have, even if a situation is new.
Understanding where your beliefs and attitudes come from allows you to change them. Changing your beliefs is the key to seeing things in a new way. You will encounter a range of new problems and challenging situations in business. These problems and situations won’t change, you have to change yourself to be able to get through them.
This is what successful solopreneurs do. When they face a big challenge, they are confident in who they are and what they’re capable of doing. They trust in their ability to overcome challenges, even when they can’t see the solution.
Adapting Your Mindset to Challenging Circumstances
Here are a few ways to help you get started in building the right mindset:
- Start with a clear goal. Having a clear goal motivates you and helps you to see new possibilities.
- Strive to break through a challenge rather than giving up. Look at it as a puzzle you have the ability to solve. Engage in creative problem-solving to find new solutions.
- Get to know and trust your abilities. Identify and take advantage of your strengths and rely on them.
- Identify any limiting beliefs or negative attitudes that are holding you back. These beliefs and attitudes blind you from potential solutions.
- If you have an emotional response to a situation, ask yourself what triggered it. Look into your past to find when it started. Is it still relevant? Plan to have an alternative response to the trigger the next time the situation happens.
- Get excited about new challenges. It’s an opportunity to learn new skills. Once you start, you’ll start building your confidence in your abilities.
- Finally, take time to reflect on your day. What worked for you today, and what didn’t? Why?
The success of your business takes place in your brain. You have to be able to adapt to new circumstances. Treat the challenge as a puzzle. Experiment with possible solutions. Changing your attitude helps you to see the challenge differently.
Remember, a rock climber never reaches their potential by focusing on the fear of falling. They believe in themselves and their abilities to overcome what stands in their way. That’s how they get to the top.
It’s the same with your business. When you’re facing a new challenge, don’t give up or stay stuck. Move forward, take action, and keep your eye and your goal. Believe in yourself and your abilities to figure things out. If you do, you will achieve far more than you thought possible.
Originally published at Soloprenur.