Forests are critical to life on this planet.
Some fun facts from the United Nations
1. Forests cover one third of the Earth’s land mass
2. Forests perform vital functions around the world
3. Around 1.6 billion people — including more than 2,000 indigenous cultures — depend on forests for their livelihood
4. Forests are the most biologically-diverse ecosystems on land
5. Forests are home to more than 80% of the terrestrial species of animals, plants and insects
6. Forests provide shelter, jobs, and security for forest-dependent communities
7. Forests play a key role in our battle in adapting to and mitigating climate change
8.Forests contribute to the balance of oxygen, carbon dioxide and humidity in the air
9. Forests protect watersheds, which supply 75% of freshwater worldwide
10. Forests provide priceless ecological, economic, social and health benefits
Not to mention, forests are essential to our well-being and ability to live on this planet! YET, despite the AMAZING things that forests do for us, global deforestation continues at an alarming rate. This needs to stop.