BLACK IS NOT A CHARITY CASE!
What the media doesn’t show you!
Charity, Charity, Charity,
that’s all I see when I turn on the T.V
Do us blacks look needy?
Or do you just enjoy putting us down on your news feeds?
According to the media, what do we know about Africa? It’s poor, in drought, children with no families and dying. When you see blacks in the United States or blacks in general through medias eyes we see ourselves potrayed as hoodlums, uneducated, bad parents and abusive ghetto beings.
Me as proud black young woman who is going to start her first year in university will show you what I see and what should be shown of us on the media. Hopefully what will and should be exalted to others and motivate those who feel less because of their color or for being a “minority”.
We are the graduates, the progress, professors, sportsman, dancers, artist, with beauty and diversity in all of our countries. Africans, Jamaicans, Dominicans, Haitians, Kittsian, Martinican, West Asian, African Americans, etc. We are so much more then what is exposed to the public eye. This can be simply shown through examples of our growth with in society:
- Harvard is marked for highest percentage of black students admitted to an Ivy League University. A good 12% and for 2018 there will be approximately 170 black graduates.
- Vincent Brown: Professor of History and Professor of African American Studies, also Director of the History Design Studio at Harvard University.
- Cornel West: Princeton University Professor
- Curt Roberts, Ernie Banks, Bob Trice, Willie Mays, Sam Jethroe, Monte Irvin, Willard Brown, Hank Thompson, Larry Doby, and one of the most known Jackie Robinson. What you see are you top 10 first black MLB players.
- Oprah Winfrey topped list of the highest paid celebrity making her top of Forbes in 2013.
- Akon is bringing electricity to 600 million people in Africa. This charity is called Akon Lighting Africa.
- Misty Copeland makes history as first black female principal dancer with American Ballet Theatre.
These are only a couple examples of us moving forward. We have beautiful beaches and views but we also have people creating a future. Show the positive! Yes, we are black but we are also culture, history, progress and our own productive beings.
I dream for the day black can see the light.
We are wonders.
We are graduates.