Seven Simple Breakfast Ideas to Help You Power Through Your Day
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It kicks your day off and gives you the energy necessary to power through your responsibilities. Unfortunately, many people find it too complicated or expensive to nourish themselves with a solid breakfast, and end up just grabbing a snack bar or bagel on their way to work. Thankfully, there are many easy, inexpensive breakfast options for busy people looking to start their day off right. Here are some simple and inexpensive breakfast ideas.
1. Breakfast burritos: Millions of Americans eat breakfast on the go, but fast food can get expensive. Fortunately, breakfast burritos are inexpensive to make at home. To make your breakfast burritos, you will need eggs, sausage, your choice of veggies, cheese, and tortillas. Simply cook your sausage and veggies and scramble your eggs, then put it all together with some cheese on your tortilla. Top it all off with your favorite hot sauce and wrap it up. Breakfast burritos are a cheap and delicious way to take a hearty breakfast on the go.
2. Avocado on toast: Avocado is a well-known super food. The tasty fruit contains essential vitamins and healthy fats. For a light and healthy breakfast consider slicing an avocado and putting it on whole wheat toast. Drizzle a little lemon juice on top and enjoy this delicious breakfast. An avocado can be purchased for around a dollar, so this is a super budget-friendly option.
3. Yogurt parfait: Yogurt contains large amounts of calcium and protein. On busy mornings, you can quickly build a yogurt parfait. Take some vanilla yogurt, toss in some chopped fruit, and sprinkle some cereal or granola on top. A simple parfait is a great way to start the day.
4. Fruit and cheese: A full breakfast plate just doesn’t appeal to everyone. If you’re generally a light eater in the morning, a simple breakfast of an apple and two ounces of cheese make for a perfect meal. You can even pack it in advance and grab it on your way out the door.
5. Egg and leftovers: Did you have meat or some veggies last night? Within all likelihood whatever you ate goes well with eggs. Chop some of the meat and vegetables up and toss them in a microwave safe container. Top the leftovers with a cracked egg or two and microwave for about a minute. When the microwave alarm beeps you will have a tasty egg dish.
6. Easy oats: Looking for a breakfast that is ready for you in the morning? Consider these easy oats. Place a 1/3 cup of oats, mashed banana, some chopped nuts, and a 1/2 cup of milk in a sealed container. Place the container in the fridge and leave it overnight. When you wake up in the morning, you will have a delicious meal. Sprinkle on some cinnamon and nutmeg to amp the flavor up.
7. Egg and Cheese Cups: Eggs are inexpensive and healthy, but eating eggs on the go is difficult. Consider making egg and cheese cups over the weekend. Get out a muffin pan and spray the cups with non-stick spray. Place sautéed onion at the bottom of each cup, along with pepper, salt, and other spices you like. Crack an egg in each cup, and sprinkle cheese and bacon on top. Place the pan in a 400-degree oven for 10 minutes. When you pull the pan out, the cups will be perfect. These cups will keep for around a week in your fridge. Grab an egg and cheese cup before heading out to work.
Breakfast is critical to your success — it will help you conquer your work day and power through your workout. Stop relying on fast food and energy bars, and try these simple ideas for a healthy start to your morning.