How to Prepare the Best Application to the Texas Medical Center Accelerator (TMCx)
TMC Innovation was established in 2014 to provide a place where innovative companies could have a place to land in Houston. We provide context, connections, and expert advice to these companies in our program. One of the ways we facilitate these opportunities is through our accelerator program, TMCx.
Over the past five years, we have curated eight cohorts. These companies come from Texas, the US, and around the world to accelerate their clinical progress.
TMCx is a 3–4 month program. The medical device program goes from early August to early November. The digital health program goes from early February to early June. Teams are required to attend programming for 7 weeks of the program, during which they hear from clinical key opinion leaders, regulatory and product experts, and business strategists.
Applications for med device are open April-May. Applications for digital health are open Sept-Oct. We also host info sessions where we further address FAQs. These are accessible in person and via video link.
Who is a good fit for TMCx?
TMC Innovation seeks to bring in companies with truly novel approaches to improving health that can benefit our member institutions. Companies that are most successful in our program have the following characteristics:
- A full time founder or business development lead who can represent the business strategy of the company — this person needs to spend at least 6 weeks of the program with us
- Some demonstration of clinical feasibility (med device — some preclinical data; digital health — some clinical adoption)
- Capable team, large market opportunity, other metrics that would make them attractive for continued growth
What will you gain from the program?
Our goal is to make sure your company is ready for clinical adoption. In the medical device cohort, we want to make sure you are getting the best perspective on your clinical use cases, product development, regulatory strategy, and pathway to clinical adoption. In the digital health cohort, we want to connect you with clinical champions and key decision makers who can help you strategize about pilots, research partnerships, and customer engagements.
During your time in the program, you will have access to programming curated for your needs and guided by experts in our network. You’ll have one-on-one support from our team to help you navigate the sea of experts and opportunities provided by the Texas Medical Center.
You’ll also become a part of our broader ecosystem, which include more than 275 clinical subject-matter experts, hospital administrators, industry partners, venture capitalists, designers, and entrepreneurs. Startups also have access and exposure to TMC corporate partners, including Johnson & Johnson’s JLABS@TMC, J&J Center for Device Innovation and the AT&T Foundry for Connected Health.
How to make your application stand out
- Illustrate a validated clinical unmet need. How many people think this problem needs to be solved? How will your solution impact existing workflows? Demonstrate that people want your product.
- Show that your solution is feasible. Is it buildable? Scalable? Will people use it? How to you know?
- Identify the regulatory, security, and quality measures will you need to take to achieve clinical adoption.
- Highlight why you have the best team to do it.