It was a Saturday evening, I was just finishing reading Angela Duckworth’s book Grit on the way to my boxing class. My plan was to work out and then go see Wonder Woman with a group of strong ladies from various parts of my life. It’s rare that I go for a themed evening of events, but this one happened pretty much by coincidence. It was a great night.
The themes of the evening have been swirling in my head as if Hillary Clinton, Sheryl Sandberg, Elizabeth Warren, Oprah and Beyonce got together in a conference room and put together a brainstormed mind map.
Here are a few for your enjoyment.
- Grit is learned.
- When you are free falling down a giant tower, sometimes the net will appear, and sometimes you just have to smash through the wall to grab a hold. After you do it a few times, and learn you can do it, it gets easier!
- If you can learn helplessness, you can learn optimism.
- Pushing oneself to goals just out of reach leads to reaching higher goals than one might have reached in the first place.
- Social norms will bring out a person’s grit. Join a gritty culture to become more gritty.
- Empathy and seeing someones humanity is a super power.
I have more reflections and a short summary for parents on my tumblr: http://tamsjamsforfams.tumblr.com/post/162134695148/grit