99 Life Lessons Learned in 2016
1. Happiness should always be the number 1 goal.
2. There is no meaning of life. You have to give it meaning.
3. Create your own definition of “success”
4. People are amazing.
5. The questions are the answers.
6. Scotland wasn’t the problem.
7. Don’t cycle in Finland in November.
8. You are going to die one day. Live each day like it was your last.
9. You can’t fully embrace the next chapter of your life without letting go of the last one.
10. Never forget where you come from.
11. It’s all about balance.
12. We all have everything we need within us.
13. If you decide to cycle around the world. It makes sense to know how to fix your bike.
14. Live your life with no regrets. Don’t waste time looking back.
15. Learn to forgive yourself for your past mistakes.
16. Learn what makes you happy.
17. Do more of the things that make you happy.
18. Learn what make you unhappy.
19. Do less of the things that make you unhappy.
20. Your breakup isn’t the end of the world.
21. Depression is a liar.
22. Get travel insurance.
23. Hangovers without Irn Bru are excruciating.
24. Travel is the most incredible experience ever.
25. There’s more to life than social media, put down the bloody phone and get outside.
26. Finding a purpose is crucial.
27. Helping others is rewarding and fulfilling
28. Urine in a bottle makes a good makeshift hot water battle
29. Your parents always have done and always will do their very best for you, although you can’t see it in your youthful naivety.
30. You don’t need a girl to be happy.
31. There’s always something to be grateful for.
32. Everyone has to visit Norway.
33. Having the shits in a strangers house should always be avoided.
34. You can have no money and still be happy.
35. Becoming your own source of happiness is a good idea.
36. Suicide is permanently off the table
37. Never underestimate the power of positive thinking
38. Reading and learning is essential
39. Experiences > things
40. Foreign romances are magical.
41. I’d rather go through childbirth than have any more root canal treatment.
42. We create our own luck.
43. The main problem with the social media world we live in is that we compare what we feel inside to what everyone projects outside to the world.
44. The French language is so sexy.
45. Finnish people won’t say hi to you on the street, but will chat to a complete stranger in the sauna whilst both naked.
46. Don’t live someone else’s life.
47. Having lots of online followers won’t stop you being lonely.
48. Daily meditation and mindfulness is the key to inner peace and true happiness.
49. Scottish patter is the best in the world
50. It doesn’t take any more effort to dream a big dream, than it does to dream a small dream.
51. When you put yourself out there, people will help you.
52. Reading is the fastest way to find the answers to your problems.
53. How you react to your mental illness is more important than how you got it.
54. No one has to work a 9–5 they hate anymore, it’s a new world with so much opportunity to do something you’re truly passionate about.
55. You’re going to have critics. You can’t please everyone.
56. Live in day tight compartments.
57. Don’t regret yesterday, and don’t worry about tomorrow.
58. If not now, when?
59. Life goes on.
60. Pain and suffering are inevitable.
61. There’s nothing worth having that doesn’t come without hard work.
62. Events + your reaction = your outcome
63. You have to be “realistic” is a statement that holds so many people back. Create your own reality.
64. Hitchhiking is fun
65. Everyone needs to see the Eiffell Tower before they die.
66. I’m happier when outdoors
67. True friendships will last the the test of time
68. Your lifestyle, your actions and your mindset and attitude is the single biggest factor is determining whether you have good mental health or not.
69. Cycling in Paris is crazy
70. You are special. Believe in yourself.
71. It’s amazing what we can achieve when we believe in ourself.
72. 25 won’t be the age I finally “settle down”
73. Heartbreak is always a price worth paying for the total pleasure of being in love.
74. There’s no one I love more in this world than my wee brother.
75. We can have, do or be anything we want in this world. The only thing holding us back is the limits and barriers we set within our minds.
76. Your first love will always be your first love
77. Scotland isn’t going anywhere.
78. I am a dreamer
79. Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re right.
80. Cycling around the world will take a LOT longer than expected
81. French people actually say oolalala lol
82. Set goals so big that in the process of achieving them you become someone worth becoming.
83. I am not a tree, if I don’t like my environment I can leave.
84. Spain isn’t always hot
85. It’s not 2013 anymore. The party is over
86. I can’t drink alcohol if I want to be happy
87. I need to put myself in the best potion to succeed
88. I might not cycle all the way around the world, and that’s ok.
89. Giving up alcohol doesn’t mean you can’t have fun.
90. I’m finally ready to become the person I was always destined to be
91. Growing up means you might lose contact with old friends. It’s not a bad thing and natural when people start doing different things with their life.
92. There’s never been a successful person in the history of the world who never had haters. Don’t let it get to you.
93. I’ve got a lot of issues I’ve still never dealt with. But I’m finally on the path to tackling them.
94. I might never completely stop thinking about my first and only love, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.
95. Scotland is the greatest country in the world.
96. My long term future probably does lie in Scotland, I care too much about this country to completely settle anywhere else.
97. I care too much about social issues and changing the world to just travel my whole life.
98. 2016 was the greatest year ever. There’s never been a greater time to be alive in the whole of mankind.
99. Life is a wild and wicked journey, don’t forget to enjoy the ride.
I can’t wait to see what 2017 has in store.