The Kaspersky Scandal
A brief timeline of how kaspersky got implicated in the big scandal
Disclaimer: All of the below data is sourced from publicly available information.
- NSA Employee takes home malware from work.
2. Installs pirated MS office. Turns off Kaspersky 🤦♂️ when it complains that the pirated software is malware.
3. The malware takes hold, backdoor in the machine open for god knows how long
4. Employee turns on kaspersky again, it detects the office malware, deletes it.
5. Kaspersky finds the employee’s stash of malware from NSA. Sends it to the network for analysis as they seem to be suspicious
6. An analyst looks at the files, sees that they belong to NSA, and informs the CEO
7. Eugene Kaspersky asks the analyst to delete the files, and forget about it.
8. The Israeli government hackers who were inside Kaspersky’s network found that Kaspersky had access to NSA files (briefly)
9. Israel informs NSA that kaspersky had NSA tools in their network
10. US Gov bans installations of Kaspersky product.
What is unclear is how Russia allegedly got hold of the NSA malware taken from the analyst’s laptop. Maybe, they exploited the backdoor?
Fearless, adversarial journalism that holds the powerful accountable.theintercept.com
Like most security software, Kaspersky Lab's products require access to everything stored on a computer in order to…www.nytimes.com
The US government has banned federal agencies from using cybersecurity software made by Russian company Kaspersky Lab…www.theguardian.com
Moscow-based cybersecurity firm Kaspersky Lab has hit back at a report in the Wall Street Journal which accused it of…www.theguardian.com
Not long after blowing the lid off a National Security Agency-backed hacking group that operated in secret for 14 years…arstechnica.com