Losing a phone makes a person sad, and if they loved their smartphone, the feeling becomes worst. Many people lose their phones and wonder what they can possibly do to get it back or at least remove their data from the device. For Apple users, this guide will sort out the issue of locating a lost iPhone.
Apple offers a free tool to help you to get your missing phone back. Even when your phone is out of reach, you can still use this app to stop the thief from stealing your data.
In iCloud service, there is ‘Find my iPhone’ service that uses to track your phone using the GPS and the Wi-Fi to locate it. By following this step by step guide, you can get your stolen iPhone back but here are the conditions that must be true:
You can only locate your iOS device on iCloud if:
- ‘Find my iPhone’ is set up on iOS or Mac devices you want to track.
- Apple smartwatch is paired with an iPhone.
- iOS device must be connected to the internet
- AirPods must be paired at least one of the iOS devices
- You have a Family Sharing setup to locate a family member’s device.
Note: ‘Find my iPhone’ service must be set up on your device before your phone was lost or taken. If you’re reading this guide and don’t have “Lost my iPhone” set on your iOS device, do it now to keep your device safe.
You can also install the app on another iOS device to track your lost phone.
- Go to the iCloud website and log in to your account.
- You will see the apps under the web-based tools. Click on ‘Find my iPhone’ icon. It will enable all your devices that you’ve set.
- You will see an onscreen message as it works.
- If you have more than one device enabled, click on ‘All Devices’ at the top of the screen and select the device that you’re searching.
- If it tracks your device, ‘Find my iPhone’ zooms in on the location of your device with the green dot which means it’s online. For gray, it’s stands for offline or no internet connection.
- When your device is found, a window appears at the right corner of your web which tells you how much battery your phone has.
- Click on ‘Play Sound.’ It will help to send the sound to your phone if the internet is enabled. This also helps if the thief had your device but was denying it.
- You can click on ‘Lost Mode.’ This aids you to lock the device’s screen and set up the passcode. It will stop the thief from accessing your data or using your device. (If you already have the passcode on your device, the code will be used).
- You can delete the data on your device by pressing ‘Erase iPhone.’ A warning will appear on the screen, choose the box you’ve understood and press ‘Erase.’ It will remove all your data to prevent the thief from accessing it.
- If you assume your device is on the move, click on the green dot then click the rounded arrow in the pop-up window. This updates the location of the device using the latest GPS data.
Things to do if your iPhone is Offline
There are times when ‘Find my iPhone’ won’t work, and your iOS device will not appear on the map. There are a few reasons why it does not appear on the map:
- Your phone is turned off or run out of battery
- Is not connected to the internet
- Has its Location Service disabled
If ‘Find my iPhone’ is not working whatever the reason behind it, there are a few options that you can try:
- Make sure ‘Notify Me When Found’ box is ticked. It will let you know when your device is connected to the internet, and you can track it easily.
- Choose ‘Remove from Account’ if you have sold or given away the device and do not want to show up on the service anymore.
- The three options: ‘Lost Mode,’ ‘Play Sound,’ and ‘Erase’ are available. Use any of these three options as you like and when your device is connected to the internet. The option you’ve chosen will happen.
This step-by-step guide will help you to track your stolen or lost phone. Even if you haven’t found your phone, your personal data is still protected by your passcode.