Telecom : Near Future
Tele-Operators around the world will soon be enabling the ‘Wi-Fi Calling’ option for a nominal fee to the users. In return for the fee, users will be able to use their number to call and text over Wi-Fi. Of course you will have to upgrade your handset to follow the trend.
Now, Wi-Fi calling is nothing new, we are already using it on major services like Skype, Whatsapp and Google Hangouts, so how is this different? Well, Wi-Fi is available in most places, home, offices, coffee shops now and increasing, Using this advantage, telecom companies can reduce load on their equipment and route it digitally over the internet. This might also give the freedom of using your number to call/text even when you are on a foreign land, maybe save you roaming costs. Governments round the world are also trying to implement better internet services by adopting fiber based connections and implementing the concepts of building wireless smart cities.
VOIP services are the future no doubt, and are being quickly being chosen over the aged concept of GSM and CDMA, which even though are being transformed to LTE and HSDPA standards, but that takes a lot of money and time, which becomes an issue of concern for developing countries.
Advantages of VOIP over cellular:
- Low cost : As discussed, Internet makes everything that was hardware dependent to only software based.
- Portability: It is not distance or location dependent. As far as VoIP is concerned, you could be calling your supplier 1,000 miles away in an Indonesian village or calling your business partner on the other end of town, and it doesn’t make any difference at all, in terms of connectivity and cost.
- Flexibility: You can change your service provider with a click of a button.
- Video Conferencing as a new standard of call.
- No Services during a power outage which might be an issue in developing countries which are struggling to provide electricity throughout the day.
- Emergency calls : Traditional phone equipment allows you to trace the location of a caller , and emergency calls are diverted to the nearest rescue center. Though IPs and MACs can be traced back, they can also be easily spoofed.
- Reliability : Because VOIP relies on an Internet connection, your VOIP service will be affected by the quality and reliability of your broadband Internet service and sometimes by the limitations of your device.
- Security : Security is a main concern with VoIP, as it is with other Internet technologies. The most prominent security issues over VoIP are identity and service theft, viruses and malware, denial of service, spamming, call tampering and phishing attacks.
All these disadvantages will be overcome in time. There is a tremendous amount of work being done to increase the reliability and usefulness of VoIP. By 2020 most of the kinks will be worked out and VoIP will receive widespread consumer acceptance. Google as already implemented the concept for a limited area with its Project FI, someday it might cover the whole world or will it fail? Something to think about.
Some day all you need is a high speed internet connection — Fiber at home and a data-only service on your phone. Internet will connect : Phone, PC, TV, thermostat , oven any device, thanks to IOT implementation.