Whether it’s event planning, research aggregation, budgeting, report creation, or reaching out to customers for campaigns; it’s helpful to be able to automate tasks using a script in Google Sheets for example.
What is an Apps Script?
An Apps Script can help interconnect Google products (Docs, Slides, Gmail, Calendar, Google Maps, Analytics, etc) and non-Google products together and even schedule activities independently for personal or team-based projects. Google offers a free script editor that requires no software downloads to run them.
Optionally for small apps (that have less than 30 users accessing the app all at once), you can use HTML to create a custom interface if desired.
Getting started with limited coding experience
Here are 4 learning projects I made for members of the marketing community:
1) Build a Google Analytics dashboard 🖥️ with an Apps Script, a Sheets add-on, and Google Sites.
- This is especially useful if you use Google Analytics and want to automate reporting of websites using data such as the number of unique pageviews by page title, location of users in the world, and top browsers. In this article you learn to use a macro to build a script and a custom menu.
2) Auto-calculate rooms needed for a conference 🎟️ in a Google Sheet via an Apps Script
- Reviews how to make your own formula (called a custom function) to automatically assign what type of room size is needed based on the number of registered participants listed in another column for each session for a large event. You can customize the IF statement for your own tasks.
3) Send SMS 📲 event updates or discount codes using Twilio from a Google Sheet
- Learn to use Google Sheets to text custom messages using Twilio (an online communications provider). Instructions include how to create a free Twilio account, and how to build a basic interface over Google Sheets using HTML, called a web app.
4) Build a web app interface over a Google Sheet
- Learn how to create an HTML interface to collect phone numbers and are stored in a Google Sheet. You can create the web app for learning purposes and/or sync it with the sheet that sends text messages from project 3.
More project ideas you can learn from
The Apps Script community has been adding more reusable solutions for anyone to use in the G Suite Solution Gallery, which I also highly recommend checking out.
It includes from sending content via emails, equipment requests, tracking YouTube likes, analyzing user sentiment from feedback via ML, etc.
My intention is to be helpful, and if you would like to learn more about what I publish, feel free to follow me on Twitter.