Care and Maintenance For Briar Pipes
Beginner’s Guide to Pipe Smoking by Ted
Like all well made things a pipe can last you a lifetime if you care for it properly. So after you have smoked for a couple of times or if its the last smoke of the day. First you have to wait until your pipe cools and never pull the stem out of the pipe when it is still hot, wait for at least an hour before you pull out the stem from the bowl for when the pipe is hot the stem expands so if you pull it out then you will crack your shank. Now most people don't like to pull the stem out of the bowl very often and you don't have to if you can stick the pipe cleaner into the mouth piece all the way to the bowl but I like to give it a good cleaning at least once every day. Also if I stick the pipe cleaner into the tenon out the lip of the stem I feel its somehow cleaner because it pushes all that black stuff out at the mouth of the stem. (A complete diagram of all the pipe parts are at the bottom of the page)
Here are the steps:
- Let your pipe cool for an hour at least.
- Run the pipe cleaner into the mouth of the stem into the bowl of the pipe.
- If the pipe cleaner cannot run into the bowl for some reason then remove the stem but be sure that the pipe is cooled or the shank will break!
- Run the pipe cleaner in and out until its not black anymore this might use more than one pipe cleaner don't be stingy with it, pipe cleaners are cheap but pipes are expensive (unless its a cob).
- Twist the pipe cleaner into a U shape and rub the debris out of the walls of the bowl. (there is a better method using tissue that I will make a video of later).
- Set the pipe down for 24 hours before smoking it again but for beginners with one pipe then waiting until the next day would suffice until you get more pipes.
This video is a very detailed cleaning but its good to know.
This is a good example of how to clean. Its abit more thorough cleaning than what I do but good all the same.
To get back to the main page click this link: